Wyoming Thorofare elk

Teton Wilderness, I know its along way in I've done my share of riding but 20+ miles on 1 day is a sore ### no matter what.

More like 30 miles. Not a place I would want to be with a scab or illegal outfitter. Do you realize that the outfitters keep shovels on top of Deer crk and Open crk passes to shovel snow drifts in October to get pack strings through. One outfitter lost a couple good mules off a cliff last Fall packing meat out of one of the camps in the Thorofare. Wyoming has outfitter laws in Wilderness for a reason.

Went into the Thorofare 3 years ago on a late season Cow elk hunt. Had a Grizz 300 yards ahead of us going the same direction for 1 or 2 miles. Saw some of the biggest bulls i have ever seen. LOL Cow hunt. Also if you have ever been on the Cat Walk on that point it will make your Heart leap into your throat and take your breath away.
Literally the most beautiful and Scariest Ride you will ever take.

Last edited:
Went with Pass Creek Outfitters back in the mid 90's. My dad shot a 340" bull on the first morning then we were plagued with 300-500 deer per day. Lol

we all shot nice deer.

been a lot of years ago. Bears were bad then.

I didnt put in just gonna put in for another point got to many irons in the fire.

If you decide to put in for 62 next year PM me and I can give you a little info from my hunt in 2017.

Spoke to Triangle X Ranch today about a 2023 or 2024 hunt......next opening is 2023. Burning my points this year (hopefully), so likely going in 2024.

Not sure what your budget is, but prime elk tags don't come often. I was in your place just a few years ago. I had max points and looked at some of the top outfitters hoping to make the best of the long awaited tag. I ended up going with Shoshone Lodge Outfitters/Trails West. I discussed my options with Josh Martoglio owner, I knew I wanted to go on a late season hunt. He discussed the areas they operated in and gave me his suggestions. I ended up drawing a late hunt in area 61. When the hunt time came we caught some favorable weather and had a great hunt. This hunt took place Nov. 2018, on the 4th day I managed to get a 350+ 6x7. Glad we had horses, because it wouldn't have happened without them or my guide Rod Litzel.

Attachments

• CD395E6B-9F61-4590-80A9-F02DC4DC6EE7.jpeg
    CD395E6B-9F61-4590-80A9-F02DC4DC6EE7.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 278
  • D5659EF7-926C-4E97-B3B9-9CF72B8DEA70.jpeg
    D5659EF7-926C-4E97-B3B9-9CF72B8DEA70.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 233
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts