Best Boots for highcountry hunting

Thanks Wacmtracm. That's why I come hear to learn and grow wiser. You've definitely got me curious and skeptical of what Cabelas is peddling - I won't say i'm convinced yet. It could all be a bunch of gossip and conjecture, but I won't buy another pair without checking more. My most used pairs are quite old and may be originals and the new ones not as good. Worth checking. I bought the the other pair in Switzerland about 5 years ago, and didn't notice a difference, but maybe they are different than what Cabelas has now. Again, I'd like proof vs hearsay, but some pointed questions to the right people should help get there.

Inany case, I love my "old school" Meindls. May try some of the Italian ones still - we'll see.

Well after lots of reading I think the German boots are awesome. Hanwag, Lowa , Meindl. The Italians make great boots to Kenetrek, Schneis, Scarpa and a few more I can't spell.

All are great so it comes down to trying them out to see which one fits you best. I'm going to order them 2 at a time till I get it right.

Carefully check out this threads:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f61/boots-hunting-high-backpacking-72827/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f61/kemetrek-boots-67470/

I see little talk dedicated to the stiffness of the boot. There's a little info on this on the 1st page of the second link above I wrote. I put many miles on my boots in true backcountry, much of it off trail. The only place I would want a boot as stiff as the Kenetrek some of these other super expensive boots is if I was in snow. That boot feels like an alpine mountaineering boot to me--to back that up, it's set up to accept crampons. There's VERY few hunts where that would be advantageous at all. Every boot is different with a different purpose and different fit. You need to try and find one that works for you the best for most of what you do with it. There is no one perfect boot. Do not buy a Chinese made boot. These are typically junk. Stick with US or Italian made in general.

Carefully check out this threads:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f61/boots-hunting-high-backpacking-72827/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f61/kemetrek-boots-67470/

The only place I would want a boot as stiff as the Kenetrek some of these other super expensive boots is if I was in snow. That boot feels like an alpine mountaineering boot to me--to back that up, it's set up to accept crampons. There's VERY few hunts where that would be advantageous at all.

JMDen - glad you said what I was already thinking. Some of these threads I've looked through have some people acting like "the stiffer the better", "they feel like a ski boot" - like that's good(?). I hate walking in ski boots from the lift to the car or to the bathroom - let alone for miles in the woods. Yes, you want stiff, good support, but only to a point. If you are using crampons or something seriously technical like the face of the mountain I showed earlier - then get the stiff-as-a-ski-boot ones. Uncomfortable, painful, and at some point dangerous (when using them in the wrong conditions), when you can't get SOME lateral range of motion from your angle on some rocks, slopes, etc. (God gave you that joint for a reason). I want sturdy and tough, but I don't need "ski boots" for elk hunting. They are tough, but I haven't had to rappel for them yet...

Apair of aluminum crampons is standard equipment for me.Would not be able to hunt the areas I do with out them and be safe.Have to go look for one I lost last year.Like the stiff boots for same reason,dig into side hil, know as the sidehill gouge.This is not the type of hunting that many do, but it puts you with them where I hunt, and to stay on a track like this w/ my 338 Norma

Attachments

• M trk, w norma.jpg
    M trk, w norma.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 20
I picked up a pair of Kenetreks two days ago. I've worn them to work the last two days and must say they feel great. Zero hot spots. Not even at the collar at the top of the boot or on those two bones on the sides of your ankle that look like an adams apple. Nice and secure and sturdy enough for the extra weight of a pack, rifle and some other gear. I'll try them in the round pen tomorrow.

SP6x6,
I never thought of crampons. What time of year do you use those?

I have had to use them as early as 1st. day rifle.It is a secret I have had in my close circle of hunting buds.We have real step terrain with lots of bear grass,those firtss snows before you have a good base or on your way up to deeper.The muleys and elk I hunt run some real step stuff,even more now with wolf pressure.you can go up or side hill just like a deer.But they are grabby and you need to be carefull and not hook you leg, they also catch the brush.I shot a 6x6 on last day one year and headed down a chute, my buddy without said "NO WAY'' see you over there.Took him an extra hour to catch me, just another tool for hunting.I have started seeing some tracks from them in the last few years.

Yep, those stiff boots are great for steep stuff that you can kick into a bit for a purchase like in snow or accommodating soils. No boot 'does it all' and a super stiff boot with full shank (nylon or steel, etc.) is typically horrible for trail walking or even lower angle off trail work. Many alpine mountaineers will do the approach time on a trail or low angle off trail work in running shoes and then when they get to the snow and/or steeper (typically loose soils/scree slopes made up of small rocks...basically a soft walking surface, to put it another way) stuff, switch to stiff mountaineering boots. But a boot that has a full stiff shank just does not let your foot articulate as it is designed to do when you walk, so often is not appropriate.

The only place, again, I would want to wear a boot like the Kenetrek is on steep loose terrain or in snow (best in consolidated snow). Obviously many here disagree. To each his own. But you cannot argue the basic principles of normal foot articulation and a boot that allows that while still providing support as needed. I've worn enough stiff boots (mostly on mountaineering trips) in all kinds of varied terrain to very clearly know exactly where they are helpful and when (most of the time) they are not. Most of these boots are built for a specific purpose and as such suffered from fulfilling a relatively small niche in the overall spectrum of what you need a boot to do. They did great at fulfilling that small niche, but were not much fun in the rest of the 'boot spectrum'.

If stiff boots work for you in what you do, more power to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.