Best Bedding Material

I've seen write ups using both although steel is more commonly used. So AL is probably fine. I'll give steel a try because it's more commonly accepted and the results are proven. The shrinkage on paper is less with steel. I doubt the difference is enough to get excited about.

Decides Terrence Howard GIF

The steel is the most commonly used because it is the most commonly recommended, not because is the best choice. The Aluminum is stronger than the steel and gives up very little in shrinkage to the steel. Are you really going to notice .0002in/in? It has only 60% of the thermal expansion/shrinkage that the steel does. That means that in service it shrinks or grows 40% less than the steel does with changes in temperature. Which is more important, initial shrinkage or dimensional stability once cured? Isn't dimensional stability one of the reasons for bedding an action in a stock in the first place?

All in all I think the Aluminum Putty is the better compromise within the Devcon products for this application.

I have used Industrial Epoxy, JB Weld, and Devcon epoxies. The metalized ones seemed more strong and stable. The only one that has ever failed me was a 5-Minute Epoxy, that cracked. I now know the Aluminum epoxies are best. I usually lightly coat the whole inner channel, plus heavy buildup on pillars; then I cap off pillars with steel washers (thin on trigger, thicker on front); lube receiver and barrel with light oil, then wrap it in celophane; then place it into stock and snug down bolts. Allow to cure overnight, then disassemble and clean. Reassemble and check all clearances. Adjust as needed. Torque all bolts to spec.

I got curious and looked up what GA Precision uses. So far it looks like Marine Tex and pillar bed. On integral aluminum bedding block type stocks they bed the recoil lug with Marine Tex.

It never ceases to amaze me how we will take the time and effort to do something to improve our rifles accuracy, and then cut corners or use home remedies to do the job. There has been some very good technical input in this discussion and I hope it is put to good use. I have formulated an opinion that for the most part anything you can glue the action in place with will get the desired results for most shooters that really can't measure shrinkage, hardness or compressability anyway. Those that have higher desires and expectations will make use of better options, and if done correctly will get better results. There is something for everyone here.

Have a very blessed Thanksgiving!

I wish that more quantitative info about MarineTex was available. Same for ProBed 2000 and J-B Weld as I'd like to be able to compare them all on the most desirable properties. I just tried to find such info on the J-B Weld site with no success, which really isn't a surprise. Prior attempts to get this data from Marine Tex have borne no fruit. I have not yet asked ProBed about this data.

If Devcon has a downside for me, it is the mixing ratio. Miller-Stephenson 907 is no better. J-B Weld makes that part easy. Haven't used MarineTex or ProBed, so no idea there.

I've used Johnson Paste Wax as the release agent ever since Devcon AL Putty was recommended to me 35+ years ago. I'm on my second can. Not because I do that many bedding jobs, but because the first can irrevocably dried out long before I used it up.

Which is more important, initial shrinkage or dimensional stability once cured? Isn't dimensional stability one of the reasons for bedding an action in a stock in the first place?

All in all I think the Aluminum Putty is the better compromise within the Devcon products for this application.

25+ years in aviation component repair, R&D, and experimental aircraft I have never run across any Devcon products.

Y'all use whatever makes you feel comfortable.

25+ years in aviation component repair, R&D, and experimental aircraft I have never run across any Devcon products.

Y'all use whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Yes rifle bedding isn't rocket science. Best material is somewhat subjective. Whatever a person feels most comfortable using might be the best.

Recent Posts