Best Bang for the Buck (Greenback and Deer)

243win has been stellar for us with 80gr Speer hot cores from an encore pistol, the 95gr sst out of any rifle we've tried punches way above it's weight class. I find myself shooting the encore for deer more than any others, something about the pistol makes it more fun. In my neck of the woods 300yd is a long poke but I've dropped more deer with a little 243 than most of my buddies shooting magnums. Kills like a champ, easy to load, won't beat you up even if you're a 80lb kid.

19BC699A-EEB6-4C42-989D-3FDD246EB9E9.gif

243win has been stellar for us with 80gr Speer hot cores from an encore pistol, the 95gr sst out of any rifle we've tried punches way above it's weight class. I find myself shooting the encore for deer more than any others, something about the pistol makes it more fun. In my neck of the woods 300yd is a long poke but I've dropped more deer with a little 243 than most of my buddies shooting magnums. Kills like a champ, easy to load, won't beat you up even if you're a 80lb kid.
How long is your barrel and what load do you use with that Speer bullet?

How long is your barrel and what load do you use with that Speer bullet?
15" I've never cronoed it but its an impressive fireball about dark. I bought a couple boxes of federal blue box ammo when I picked it up. I duplicated that load but don't have the info in front of me, I know it was H4350 to be honest I think I used the starting load on the bottle of powder. It shot good enough I stopped there.

15" I've never cronoed it but its an impressive fireball about dark. I bought a couple boxes of federal blue box ammo when I picked it up. I duplicated that load but don't have the info in front of me, I know it was H4350 to be honest I think I used the starting load on the bottle of powder. It shot good enough I stopped there.
I would love to see that fireball at dusk! Those long barreled bolt "pistols" shoot amazingly well. The short barrel is not a great speed generator but it is very stiff. Probably vibrates at a very high frequency and at a very low amplitude.

I shoot a 6 BR in my 15" Encore barrel. I think it gets close to .243 velocity , but without the fireball. Shoot 85 Sierria GK or 80 gr. Sierria . The 85's are a bit hard on shots over 200 yards. I use a H322 load, but off the top of my head I can't tell you how much.