Best Ammo for my new GAP Non-typical .300 WSM?

I just started reloading for my 300WSM, and am trying the berger 168 & 185 VLD hunting bullets for my mule deer hunt. Some have expressed concerns about the VLD's on elk, because they expand fast. For elk or larger, I will be using a bonded type bullet.

Don't use VLD target bullets, because they have thicker jackets and don't expand.

You have it backwards. The target vld's have thinner jackets. Ive cross sectioned both to compare. Also the hunting VLD has a much larger hollow area in the front..looks to be about 3-4 times as much open space in the tip of the hunting vld verses the target

If you want the best accuracy out of your new rifle start reloading. If there is just no way to reload then you need to buy several different brands of ammo and see what shoots best in your particular rifle.

The GAP Non Typical looks like a sweet rifle.

You have it backwards. The target vld's have thinner jackets. Ive cross sectioned both to compare. Also the hunting VLD has a much larger hollow area in the front..looks to be about 3-4 times as much open space in the tip of the hunting vld verses the target

I have 24, 26, and 30 cal Bergers in both hunting VLD and target VLD sitting in front of me. There is not one lick of VISUAL difference between them. The hollow points are the same size. The Target VLD Bergers have a THICKER jacket than the Hunting VLD. I am sure that they are both J4 jackets and differ only in thickness. The reason is that the LR target guys were having bullets vaporize mid flight. The thicker jackets pretty much solved that problem.

As far as you hand loading delema......What you need are friends like my friends all have.....ME!!:D For years I have been developing loads, breaking in guns, cleaning ...ect. FOR FREE!!! Now that I have been dabbeling in the 1000 yrd game, I have more and more "friends" looking me up, and less and less time to do it.

Now I just load for "GOOD FRIENDS.....and not always for free. lightbulb

I would certainly give the Berger VLD's a try if they are available in a factory or semi-factory loading. Honestly, I havn't baught a factory shell in two decades plus. Well, I take that back....I just baught a REM R25 in 7mm08....going to try the Hornady light magnum 139 SST along side my 140 NBT hand loads....just to see. The reason....my brass catcher is a big PITA, and causes the occasonal jamfest!!

Good luck with your new shootin iron!!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.