Best 25-06 factory ammo for Elk

wapitiaddict

First off, I know that 25-06 is on the small end for elk. I know a lot of people advise not shooting anything smaller than a 300 win mag at Elk. I'm well aware of the limitations of using a 25-06 for elk. However, I do know that a lot of people have harvested elk with a 25-06. For those that have had experience with harvesting Elk with a 25-06 or are familiar with the cartridge, what factory ammo would you recommend?

Would you go something like Federal Premium 115gr partition, Federal Premium 110 Accubond, or something like a 100 grain mono (Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX, Federal Trophy Copper Tipped)?

It will be my son's first year to hunt, and he is very small for his age. He is always among the smallest in his entire grade. Very small frame. I don't want him developing a flinch at such a young age. I figure I would back up his shot with my 30-06 in case the elk doesn't look like it is going down.

I know I could maybe move up in caliber with a good muzzle break, but I really don't like them. I would like to hear from the 25-06 people what rounds they have had success with.

First off, I know that 25-06 is on the small end for elk. I know a lot of people advise not shooting anything smaller than a 300 win mag at Elk. I'm well aware of the limitations of using a 25-06 for elk. However, I do know that a lot of people have harvested elk with a 25-06. For those that have had experience with harvesting Elk with a 25-06 or are familiar with the cartridge, what factory ammo would you recommend?

Would you go something like Federal Premium 115gr partition, Federal Premium 110 Accubond, or something like a 100 grain mono (Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX, Federal Trophy Copper Tipped)?

It will be my son's first year to hunt, and he is very small for his age. He is always among the smallest in his entire grade. Very small frame. I don't want him developing a flinch at such a young age. I figure I would back up his shot with my 30-06 in case the elk doesn't look like it is going down.

I know I could maybe move up in caliber with a good muzzle break, but I really don't like them. I would like to hear from the 25-06 people what rounds they have had success with.
partition or a mono like you stated which ever your rifle shoots best and don't take questionable shots as I am sure your well aware

I have experience with the 25-06, but not with Elk. The cartridge has amazed me with it's performance on whitetails. I have used Winchester 120 gr PEP and Remington core-lokt 100 gr but most have been with handloads consisting of 117 gr Hornady BTSP's at 2900-3000 fps. All whitetails DRT. If I had to use it for Elk with factory ammo I would go with the Federal 115 partition load, Chrono the load, and then crunch some numbers to figure out max range based on the amount of energy I want to dump into the animal. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone tried the HSM 115 VLD factory ammo? The specs on it look pretty darn good. The only question is if the 115 VLD is a tough enough bullet...?

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone tried the HSM 115 VLD factory ammo? The specs on it look pretty darn good. The only question is if the 115 VLD is a tough enough bullet...?
It very well maybe but do you want to chance wounding and loosing an elk The partition a mono or even and old corelokt bullet would be a better choice in my opinion but you know what they say about opinions

Thin skinned bullets that have a lot of mass CAN be good choices for elk, but I wouldnt put a 115 in that category at all. You could have a spectacular kill or a heart breaking loss!

The 115gr Partition was going to be my recommendation until you described the shooter. A lighter bullet will kick your son less. Less kick means less chance of developing a "flinch". That being the case the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo with a 100gr Partition or the Barnes VOR-TX ammo running a 100gr TTSX bullet would be the better choice.

That's great to hear! I might grab some Federal Premium 115 gr Partition ammo, and some Federal or Barnes 100 mono ammo and see what shoots the best and go with it. We will both have tags (OTC hunt) so I can make a follow up shot if needed...assuming we are lucky enough to get into the elk.

The first elk I ever killed was with a 25-06 at 450 yards. He dropped in his tracks with a shoulder shot using a 115 partition. I had excellent luck killing 20+ more bull elk with 140 partitions in a 6.5 out to 600 yards.

No experience with elk, but I've killed a bunch of deer and hogs with my 25-06. My favorite bullet is the 115 VLD, but after seeing how they react on deer (pretty explosive) I don't use them for hogs. I always switch it up to partitions for thicker skinned animals. If I had to use my 25-06 on elk I would use a partition and leave the Berger's at home.

Pick a factory load with the 115 or 120 nosler partition or 117 Hornady plain BTSP. No 110 accubond or 117 sierra. The Barnes 100 tipped also would be a good bullet.

None get a larger caliber 300 something..