Best Factory Ammo for .30-06

Double Drops

I realize each gun shoots different loads better, but I'm just curious to know what factory ammo out there people have had good luck with in .30-06. I'm going to be using this for deer hunting.

D B Cooper

If I want to use factory ammo to get the best out of a new rifle, I'll usually try to find some Federal Premium. In my experience just about any caliber will shoot very well if it's a good rifle and I do my part.

geargrinder

I like to shoot the Federal Premium High Energy with the 165g Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. I've chrono'd it at just under 3000fps. My old Savage shoots them quite well.

Killed every animal that I've poked with one. In fact, I've got a used bullet here at my desk that is a perfect mushroom that punched through a cow elk at 400 yards. Found it in the hide on the far side.

RT2506

I to would say the Federal Premium ammo also. If deer hunting I would go with the 150 gr Sierra BTSP bullet or the Nosler Ballistic Tip. These have done a very good job for me in my hand loads.

hogwild

I realize each gun shoots different loads better, but I'm just curious to know what factory ammo out there people have had good luck with in .30-06. I'm going to be using this for deer hunting.

As far as factory ammo goes I have seen very few rifles that won't shoot Remington Core-lokts with very good accuracy. While core-lokts may not be the best constructed bullet out there they do seem accurate. I'm thinking your best bet is to try some different ammo brands to see what your gun likes.

soren

You need to find the load that your rifle likes. I have a Tikka T3 .243 that shoots better with "cheap" Monarch and Fusion ammo than the Fed. Premium. Just because it is more expensive does not guarantee better results.

roninflag

i shoot 99% handloads. i have shot fed high energy 180 nosler partitions. great groups . would work great for deer even though most would think of it as an "elk" load

3006savage

165 Grain Interbond Light Magnums by Hornady offered me good performance. I chrony 2950 with them from a 22" barrel and they shoot around an inch at 100 yards. The Interbond expands well and penetration is good also.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce