berger weight consistency

D.ID

Howdy, I finally got around to trying the berger 190 vld in my 300 wsm Tikka and wow. I tried my normal routine of sorting bullets by weight and only found one in a hundred that was a tenth of a grain light and all the rest dead on 190.0 Is that normal or was it lucky? The noslers I usually use are all over the place but if this first box of berger is typical I am going to stop weight sorting...... H4350 62gr in fed brass or 62.5gr in win brass / 215/@2.9 oal delivers 2878 average, recoils less than my 180s at 3000, best groups to date and actually matched my drop charts perfect at least out to seven hundred (farthest tests so far) the noslers work to about 500 and then need modified dramatically. Truly impressed with the bergers so far is the weight consistency normal.

Berger weight consistency is usually better than most, but one off out of 100 is unusal. I would buy all of that lot number I could find. But, as always, the proof is in the shooting.

There are other factors to consider as well - Bearing surface consisteny, meplat uniformity, barrel twist, etc. How are you measuring OAL?

I kind of suspected that was to good to be normal. True it is one of many factors it is just the first one I started with. As far as oal measurement that was just tip to base in calibers as I did not expect to have a workable load by elk season and planned on using my nosler load again this year but going out the door to the range last weak I threw 60gr in a case and loaded half a dozen rounds with the die set for the noslers and much to my amazement they fit my magazine (barely)grouped record tight(not measured) @200 but clocked 2650 so I loaded some a little hotter and wow. I have not even measured distance to the lands on this load yet. They just shot! so I started checking drops. All the technical measurements are pending but further load development will have to wait till after elk is in the freezer. Thanks for the input, I will get back to the store and look for more from this lot and start checking the other uniformity factors.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.