Berger VLD pencil through Elk in Cold?

I realize this is a Berger Bullet thread however, I wanted to share an odd and unpredictable story along the ideas of retained weight.

Round about 1992, I was sitting in a cold November blind with my Cousin. My tags were filled so I was along the ride in a support role. His rifle was a 700 BDL, 300 Winchester Magnum shooting Remington 150gr PSP Core Lokt. An eight point Buck slipped in behind us and we waited what seemed to be an eternity for it to make its way down to where he could raise the rifle and take the shot at 60 yards.
Bang, the Buck dropped and started flopping. I said shoot him again and he did.
Shot#1- Center chest behind front leg***NO EXIT WOUND
Shot#2- Back/Spine just below base of neck***NO EXIT WOUND

There was major fragmentation destruction inside the cavity. Who would have ever thought that this would be the performance of a specialty core bullet? I have no opinion or explanation as to why the bullet turned into a grenade, simply relating an actual experience where a deep penetration projectile didn't penetrate deep.

While a Core Lokt, a pretty good bullet, it was a light bullet, hitting at high velocity (close range), and a cup and core, summary….. I'm not surprised! memtb

I realize this is a Berger Bullet thread however, I wanted to share an odd and unpredictable story along the ideas of retained weight.

Round about 1992, I was sitting in a cold November blind with my Cousin. My tags were filled so I was along the ride in a support role. His rifle was a 700 BDL, 300 Winchester Magnum shooting Remington 150gr PSP Core Lokt. An eight point Buck slipped in behind us and we waited what seemed to be an eternity for it to make its way down to where he could raise the rifle and take the shot at 60 yards.
Bang, the Buck dropped and started flopping. I said shoot him again and he did.
Shot#1- Center chest behind front leg***NO EXIT WOUND
Shot#2- Back/Spine just below base of neck***NO EXIT WOUND

There was major fragmentation destruction inside the cavity. Who would have ever thought that this would be the performance of a specialty core bullet? I have no opinion or explanation as to why the bullet turned into a grenade, simply relating an actual experience where a deep penetration projectile didn't penetrate deep.
This is exactly what I would expect from a 150 corloct out of a winmag at anything inside 300 yards. Now if it was a 180 or 200… well depending on impact velocities. Corlocts are not bonded, except for the short run of bonded ones, which I expect are excellent killing bullets.
I killed lots of critters with 130 270's and 100 243's corloct's. Anything inside 200 yards I expected massive damage. Only bullet I ever revived that looked like a mushroom was a 150 in a 270 out of an elk I shot around 250 yards.

I know I am way late to the party. My experience in the cold (-8°F) and the Berger 180g VLD is good. 708 yards, half dollar size hole on exit. 5200' elevation.

Double check your fps at the muzzle in that cold weather. I had to adjust 2 moa up for those cold temps vs. +40°F zero @ 300 yds @ 6,000' elevation. @40°F, 6,000' elevation the MV was 3,250 fps. (Well, it may have been a bit less since I didn't have a chrono there), but the poi only had to be adjusted 1/4 moa from when I zero'd it @ 785' elevation. WC 872 powder.

Also late to the party here. The 168s hunting vld I have are now only or shooting steel after a "penciling" experience on cow elk.
All I shoot is 168 VLD in my 308 and 140 VLD in my 280 Remington. That usually happens when the tip is either plugged or smashed closed in my experience with VLDs.