Berger Jacket Limitations with Velocity?

I never had a .224 bullet blow up from my 5R, 7.7 twist .22-.250 & that includes 53gr VMax's. I shoot mostly 75 ELDM's. No problems with stability or anything else. Both 75 ELDM's & Berger 75 VLD's work fine. Should I need to shoot deers I would go for the Berger 75. I won't load any bullet that won't stabilize when it is cold. The 75 ELDM is my preferred bullet for long range rodent shooting. The Miller Sg estimator is a useful tool when selecting bullets but does not provide insight on jacket integrity. I plan to include a RPM display in my spread sheet(s).
Screenshot (133).png

I need to go on-line now & search for more 75 ELD's, a few weeks ago I scored on 100 at Cabello's.

I know. My 6.5 SAUM in a 28 barrel gets 3050 fps. I was using RL 50 since that was the only powder I could find that Berger recommended. Their reloading data max pressures topped out at about 3050 fps for the 156s. I asked them why such low values and got the overbore answer. Maybe I should try H1000.

I know. My 6.5 SAUM in a 28 barrel gets 3050 fps. I was using RL 50 since that was the only powder I could find that Berger recommended. Their reloading data max pressures topped out at about 3050 fps for the 156s. I asked them why such low values and got the overbore answer. Maybe I should try H1000.
RL33 man

twist rate is relative to bullet weight in any calibre,ie increase the bullet weight requires an increase in twist rate,otherwise the bullet will not stabilise.

twist rate is relative to bullet weight in any calibre,ie increase the bullet weight requires an increase in twist rate,otherwise the bullet will not stabilise.
It's actually a function of bullet length and shape more than weight. In general yes, heavier bullets are longer and thus require a faster twist, but this isn't always the case. An example would be a 220gr round nose vs. a 168gr AMAX. The 220gr round nose will stabilize in a 1:14 twist but the 168 AMAX won't at the same velocity. Both bullets are the same length.

It's actually a function of bullet length and shape more than weight. In general yes, heavier bullets are longer and thus require a faster twist, but this isn't always the case. An example would be a 220gr round nose vs. a 168gr AMAX. The 220gr round nose will stabilize in a 1:14 twist but the 168 AMAX won't at the same velocity. Both bullets are the same length.
True. Same goes for alot of solid copper bullets. They're not necessarily heavy for caliber but long and need more twist.

He was shooting a 6.5 STW pushing a 156 EOL at 3400fps with great accuracy. I
I wish I never read that. Now I won't sleep tonight.
seen the 147 come apart in a 7 twist 6.5 saum with 100 rounds on the barrel.
I am having every 5 or six shots fail to hit paper or key hole on an older lot of 147 grainers...6.5prc. I thought my scope was wacked or something until the sideways hit on paper... nice tight group then MIA on a shot....

A quick google revealed I'm not alone.....

I wish I never read that. Now I won't sleep tonight.

I am having every 5 or six shots fail to hit paper or key hole on an older lot of 147 grainers...6.5prc. I thought my scope was wacked or something until the sideways hit on paper... nice tight group then MIA on a shot....

A quick google revealed I'm not alone.....
hahaha I know it!! It was definitely appealing!! I've already ordered more bullets for the .28 to see what kinds of speeds I can get hahaha

I assume you are running an 8 twist prc. I shot some of the older 147 translucent tipped bullets along with some of the other calibers of older translucent tipped eld-m bullets. They were different in shape. They had to have a reason for changing them but it was never revealed as to why. I called Hornady and asked and that call was a waste of time to say the least. I'm running the current 147s to 3150 fps in a saum. No failures yet. 6 groove 8 twist.

I assume you are running an 8 twist prc. I shot some of the older 147 translucent tipped bullets along with some of the other calibers of older translucent tipped eld-m bullets. They were different in shape. They had to have a reason for changing them but it was never revealed as to why. I called Hornady and asked and that call was a waste of time to say the least. I'm running the current 147s to 3150 fps in a saum. No failures yet. 6 groove 8 twist.
I have 8 twist yes sir....I believe hornady kinda wanted to avoid aknowlement. I read of others who called and got a run around. I spent all 2020 working loads and then being baffled thinking my mount was loose or scope was junk. Ended up digging an old gun out for hunt season. Then in dec @the range saw the keyhole after remounting scope with epoxy and copious amounts of locktight. I'm glad I finally had one of the rogue ones print paper. No biggie I have primers on my primer tree growing as we speak....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.