berger in 300wby

bubba340sa

i have a weatherby lightweight acumark in 300wby and cant seem to get the 185 berger vld to shoot the twist is 1-10 they recommend 1-12.will the bullet depth matter even though a weatherby has 1 inch free bore i will appreciate the help thanks

I had a little trouble with them at first in my 300Rum. Was just about ready to give up and decided to load what was recommended at 3.600 oacl. Loaded 3 up with 97grs. of H-1000. Cut a ragged hole group at 300yds going 3400fps.

I have the luxury of shooting hogs just about anytime I want to for bullet performance. Infact this weekend I popped 7 with both the 270AM and the 300Rum. It's pretty cool to have 1 rifle set up at one end of the barn and another at the other end.

The first hog was a big boar I shot through the shoulder with the 200 Accubond. It did ok, but not that impressed. The second was a little piglet about the size of a cotton tail with the 185 VLD which pretty much blowed him into. And the rest was with the 270Allen Mag.

The 185 VLD at 3.600oacl in my rifle has a jump of 175K.

Tim

Your probably having issues due to the freebore in the Weatherby chamber , most of the time the VLD style buulets like to seated very close or into the lands

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.