Berger bullet drilling

thatguyshm

For those of you that drill out your Berger bullets to eliminate closed tip penciling, have you ever run into one with what would appear to be steel in the tip?

I was loading 7mm 180gr HVLD bullets today for an upcoming elk hunt and was running a 0.040" micro drillbit into the tips to make them consistent and open, when one would not drill. I ran it over a magnet and it stuck. Lot number D997.

I can only assume it is a stainless pin used for final polish, but it would definitely attribute to penciling or at the very least a possible flyer. I sent an email to berger to see if they have any information on this happening with this lot number.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen.

SHM

I've got a couple boxes of 168 gr Hunter classics in .308 cal. that have the worse closed tips of any batch of Bergers I have ever seen. They are almost impossible to drill out, never even gave it a thought about testing with a magnet.

I've been shooting Bergers for years but have come to the conclusion that enough is enough.

I will if Berger doesn't want it back for sure.
What method do you use to cut the bullet? I've been wanting to do it due to a similar issue with 210 gr .30 cal Berger's but after seeing pictures of some posts that look like they were cross sectioned with a sawzall I would be interested in your method.

For those of you that drill out your Berger bullets to eliminate closed tip penciling, have you ever run into one with what would appear to be steel in the tip?

I was loading 7mm 180gr HVLD bullets today for an upcoming elk hunt and was running a 0.040" micro drillbit into the tips to make them consistent and open, when one would not drill. I ran it over a magnet and it stuck. Lot number D997.

I can only assume it is a stainless pin used for final polish, but it would definitely attribute to penciling or at the very least a possible flyer. I sent an email to berger to see if they have any information on this happening with this lot number.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen.

SHM
Woah. Never heard of that happening before. Just watch, you'll end up getting trouble at one of those ranges that forbids steel core projectiles. Or worse, some misguided company will market a "handgun" chambered in your cartridge of choice and you'll have some contraband AP pistol ammo on your hands :) !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.