Berger 6.5 hybrids for hunting

NW Hunter

I have been searching through all the threads for any information I could find if anyone has had luck with Berger Hybrids 6.5 140 grains.

While I did find a few hunters using them, one said they tipped and tumbled while going through causing terminal damage. Another said they penciled through on him.

I decided to email Bob Beck at Extreme Outer Limits TV to see what experience he has had with Hybrids in hunting situations.

Here is what he had to say...

Randy,

Thanks for the message. I have used the Hybrid Target style bullets to kill a bunch of game. They perform just slightly different then the VLD Hunting in most scenarios I have seen. With the slightly thicker jacket, they penetrate slightly more before starting to expand and have had more pass throughs then VLD Hunting bullets given similar scenarios. So with that said they do really well with shots that are placed with some bone mass to get through. For that reason I really like them. Now if your very much a guy who stays off the shoulders, then my feelings are reversed and the VLD Hunting bullets work well due to the slightly more rapid expansion in soft tissue.

To sum it up best, I like them both and would try both in my setup to see which seems to work better. From there I would lean toward your natural aiming preference when in the moment of truth. From there pick which bullet is going to perform best with the shot placement you deliver 9 out of 10 times. Again other then the shape difference and how the bullet functions for accuracy out of your rifle, the real difference in the two is a slightly thicker jacket in the Hybrid Target line. However both have been very lethal for us!

Thanks again.

Bob Beck

Extreme Outer Limits TV

Thanks Bob for a great explanation.lightbulblightbulblightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.