6.5 Berger hybrids for hunting

matt_3479

I've read a few times that the 140 hybrids are inconsistent for hunting due to the thicker jacket not allowing it to expand properly. Now almost every time I read that it's on a thinner skinned game such as whitetail, mule or antelope. But I never hear it with elk or moose. Wouldn't the hybrid be perfect for elk/moose due to the thicker jacket allowing it to penetrate and expand on thicker hide/thicker bone? Or are people having issues with them on big game as well

Varying opinions on this subject about not expanding on medium size game. My experience has been the opposite and I am very happy with the performance.

I shot two deer last year where one was within 40 yards and the channel wound on both were unbelievable. I have no reason to change to something else.

I have used them on elk and bears with the 250 and they work great, but I'm pushing them at 3250 and with those bullets at those speed I wouldn't shoot them passed 900 I shoot hunting bullets pass that distance. The farther out you go the slower you are the less likely the heavier jacket bullets will open up. But at closer distances they work great. I would say 2200 fps might be a good minimum speed.

I have a gun shooting them in the .2's and .3's consistently and it hurts to consider switching. They wouldn't only be used on elk/moose this season. But if people aren't having any luck on the larger game either then I have no choice

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.