Berger 6.5 140 vld Hunting vs 140 elite hunters

Seems like lots of people are really getting irritated by this so called self made shortage of bullets.
That is true...i got a 28N in Jan and couldn't shoot the 195's for several months. I got a 6.5cr a few days ago and if I hadn't gotten lucky and found the 140 VLD's on here I wouldn't be able to shoot this for a few months.

We are now getting down to crunch time for the upcoming season and a few month delay can make the season tough or force people to use different bullets - and they may just stay with those if they like them.

What ****es me off is they have time to make new bullets like the new 7mm 184 match bullet and others but somehow cant find the brainpower to produce the products they already should be and are way behind on as is.

Just to bash Berger a bit more (and at this point starting to think they deserve it). I don't think they will release bullets for handloads until they have gotten their new ammo line out on the shelves. You'll probably see 260 140 VLD Berger ammo before you see the 6.5 140 VLD bullets.

Just to bash Berger a bit more (and at this point starting to think they deserve it). I don't think they will release bullets for handloads until they have gotten their new ammo line out on the shelves. You'll probably see 260 140 VLD Berger ammo before you see the 6.5 140 VLD bullets.
Good point, I hadn't considered this^^

they were better off without the big corporate executives in charge. how long did they know about the move back to Arizona and they couldn't stock up before hand. this is why there are more green or red boxes on my bench lately

I have seen the 7mm 195 eol's, the .270 170 eol's, the 7mm 180 vld's, and the 6.5 140 vld's in stock between a couple of stores within the last week. They weren't there a couple weeks before. They are coming back in.

On the topic of the original post, i shot 8 animals last year with the 140 elite hunters out of a 6.5 cm in Colorado and WY. All but one was a one shot drop and the only reason I put a second into that big mule deer at 450 was because he was pointed towards the private. If I didn't have elk on my plate I wouldn't even bother with another setup.

Load development was so boring it's not even worth noting. Just don't try to reinvent the wheel. I'm using Lapua brass, H4350, CCIBR4 primers and those bullets. Took about 60 shots from start of load development/ barrel break in, to validated to 600.

I have seen the 7mm 195 eol's, the .270 170 eol's, the 7mm 180 vld's, and the 6.5 140 vld's in stock between a couple of stores within the last week. They weren't there a couple weeks before. They are coming back in.
I hope that is true....I called Berger about a week ago and they said it would be some time before the 6.5's are shipped out.

Anything really different? Slight Bc advantage? Anyone have better or worse experiences with either in load development?

P3, it sure would be hard for me to pick anything Berger over a Hornady 140 ELD-M. Cheaper, available, great BC, and they're doing the job just fine on animals. If you have to have Berger, feedback I got was stick with Elite Hunters, the VLD's are a bit more finicky on jump to the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.