Berger 215's in 300 win mag

I would go with the -.040" load and go shoot some distance. You are shooting average .5 moa. consistently. If it will hold that to 1000 and shoot 5" groups you will be good to go. The rifle sure is trying to shoot tighter but I can't really say what causes the 1 out of group each time.

Jeff

I should get a chance to go shoot some distance in the next few days and post results. Thanks for your help with this Jeff.

Jon

I have the same thing going on with the 230's, but they are holding under .5moa out to 905 yds. which is as far as I can get right now. But I will be in Wy. thur. so I will stretch em out a little more. get-attachment (1).jpg

Rick,
0.5 moa to 905 yards is sweet! I hope when I test mine at distance that my results are similar. Tell us about your components and load.
Jon

Rick,
0.5 moa to 905 yards is sweet! I hope when I test mine at distance that my results are similar. Tell us about your components and load.
Jon
Jon, Thanks As stated I'm shooting the 230's since the 215's are pretty scarce right now. I tried these on a recommendation from Bob Beck.
230 target vld
rem brass(not my first choice) all I could find.
CCI 250 primers. I tried fed 215's and 215m the 250's just gave me a better es.(9)
H1000 powder 74grs.
vel 2667 not that fast but the best accuracy, which is what I go for.
Rifle is Rem. 5R 300WM W/ 24" barrel and Schuler brake. and Jewell trigger @1 1/4lbs.
Bullets are seated .003 off lands. Tried from a .003 jam all the way out to about a .060 jump. So much for not being critical to seating depth:rolleyes:
I leave for Wy in about 12 hrs, when I return I am going to swap this barrel out for a 28" tube, probably a Broughton, or Krieger. I should mention regarding the 230's the more vel. I gained the larger the group, as much as 2" at 100. I don't know if it was the 24" barrel or what. Just an observation.
Rick

Shot at 500 and 800 yards tonight in gusting winds from 1 to 6 mph. Vertical at 500 was 1 1/2" and at 800 it was 3 1/2". Horizontal at 500 was 2" and at 800 was 6". Velocity confirmed by shooter was 2985. Pretty happy with with the velocity, but will keep working on loads and rifle to tighten things up a little bit more.
Jon

I am shooting basically the same load and shoots great out of my 24" Rem 5r.

However, if I switch to Fed brass from Norma, will I need to start over with my load development? I'm runnin 74gr H1000 CCI250 primers 215 hybrid target COAL 3.63"

Should I drop a few grains and work back up?

In search of tightening up my groups I installed a heavy duty ground recoil lug, I also found that the front screw on my scope base was too long and was hitting the threads on my barrel. After shorting the screw and new recoil lug this is the group. There was a gusty wind coming from 7-8 o'clock.

Attachments

• IMG_20130928_142415_384.jpg
    IMG_20130928_142415_384.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 106
Jon,

I think I would load up ten wait for a calm morning or eve and re-shoot. Usually a little left and right but on same plane is shooter. A 300 is a big boomer. If you have a hard back wall on your trigger right after the 'break' this may just cause this too, just put a little over-travel in it. Took a group on one of my rifles from 1 1/2 to 3/8".

Pretty good group and some good shooting obviously to get to this point. Good luck.

Thanks Kevin. I was thinking the same thing about trying again on a calm day. I will look at the trigger and see what I can do there.
Yesterday still had the wind so I didn't shoot paper targets, instead a buddy and I stretched her out to 1215 yards on some rocks. We each consecutively hit a white spot that was about 3"x 6" at 1215 with a gusty wind. The wind was not full value and measured 3.2 average pointing the wind meter at the target. Boy its fun to see the impact at that range! I'm really starting to like this rifle. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.