berger 168 or smk?

CPerkins

Which bullet would be a better deer bullet from a 300 WM? I've got both shooting about the same size groups at about the same muzzle velocity.

The BC of the Berger is a good bit higher if its the VLD model and the jackets on the Bergers are a little bit thinner so they may expand faster or "blow up" at short ranges.

I've killed deer with both shot out of a 308 with no bad results from either ,but I would use the Bergers if the gun shoots them

The BC of the Berger is a good bit higher if its the VLD model and the jackets on the Bergers are a little bit thinner so they may expand faster or "blow up" at short ranges.

I've killed deer with both shot out of a 308 with no bad results from either ,but I would use the Bergers if the gun shoots them

For the 300 win mag, I would look at the 180 VLD by Berger. I use the 168 in my 7mm and love them... No lost animals. One shot kills.

I just read the article on Berger bullets in the Handloader mag. and I'm gonna shoot the 168's in my 7.21 Lazz XP for Deer and maybe Elk. I've also seen the video on the website and I'm convinced they should work on big game. Now if I can get Eric to build some 180 or 200 grain 338's to shoot in my next XP build. My best friend is having his 330 Dakota XP built right now.

Last edited:
Bergers are the way to go. I suggest the 190 or 210 out of a 300 wm, both are exceptional long range bullets and they have enough mass to prevent complete bullet failure at close range.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.