Berger 168 Classic Hunter/308 Kimber Adv. Tactical

longrangehunterII

I picked up a used Kimber Advanced Tactical 308 Win. that had only 67 rounds down the barrel for my brother on a Cyber Monday super buy that was too good to pass up. So I worked up a load using the 168 SMK and now needed to find a hunting load.

I worked from the previous load development and only changed the seating depth to start with. These bullets all displayed the same ogive length, even better then the SMK's. I had previously measured both bullets using a Sinclair seating depth gage and they were both very close to the same measurements but I started with a different seating depth and only made one change .005" further out and Boom..... Bug Holes. Took only 10 rounds to find a load and made 5 more to test at 455 yards and called it good.

Bottom photo is a 168 SMK with the first 5 shots with various charge weights and then another 5 all at 42.9 grains leaving the barrel around 2600 fps. I had another load that was a little slower that shot three shot groups into the .1's.

Note: the very first round tends to always be higher when shot through a clean barrel in my observations over a lot of years and the rounds will settle down once the fouling has seasoned the barrel.

Berger 168 Classic Hunter
43.0 RL-15
F210M
Winchester match prepped brass
2.2550" CBTO

Attachments

• Kimber Advanced Tacticle & Case.jpg
    Kimber Advanced Tacticle & Case.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Kimber Adv Tac 168 Classic Hunter 01 07 2015.jpg
    Kimber Adv Tac 168 Classic Hunter 01 07 2015.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Kimber Adv Tac 168 SMK 12 22 2014.jpg
    Kimber Adv Tac 168 SMK 12 22 2014.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 122
tagging in! thinking about one of these.
Why not own it, I just put it up For Sale yesterday on here in the classified section.

$3,500.00 for everything, gun, scope, case, brass, bullets, and the dies. Check online, I just saw 2 that were that price, neither came with the scope, and one didn't come with the case. This one is just getting broke in and will shot 1/8" three shot-3/8" five shot groups.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.