Benjamin titan xs .177 airgun ballistic gel test

Kansaswoodguy

I picked up a Benjamin Titan XS in .177 for my oldest boy the other day and we have been having a good time with it. Today we got out the ballistic gel and fired some different pellets into it at 25 yards. Thought I'd share the results

Gamo Blue Flames 2" penetration
Crossman Destroyer 3 3/4" penetration
Crossman Hollow Point 7 1/8" penetration
Crossman Pointed 8 3/4" penetration

Benjamin Titan XS .177 Airgun-My 1st!

After 60 years of being a juvenile delinquent, I finally purchased my 1st Air Rifle! For the past 5 years I've waited for the perfect .177 air rifle to come along...The Benjamin Titan XS has been worth the wait!! It is very well built, has great ergonomics\handling and has proven Very Accurate (10yds=Same Hole w\Benjamin 7.9gram lead HP). There's virtually no recoil and I can shoot in my workshop without hearing protection, it's that quiet (thanks to the smooth Nitro Piston technology)! I'm not sure about a break-in period, as it has been a tack driver for the first 300 shots. The included Centerpoint 3-9 x32 scope is okay (8-9 is not sharp) but adjust well for a consistent zero. Trigger pre-travel was on the long side (1") and the sear break is heavy (5 lbs), but overall clean and consistent. I added two 3\16" lock washers (8.5mm od) on the trigger-to-sear contact pin. This helped reduce the length of pull to a consistent 1\4" and produced a crisp 3.25lbs sear break, giving me bulls eyes with every shot...very respectable! :D

At 1000fps (lead pellets, sub-sonic=stable ballistics), it is very powerful, carrying 18 foot lbs of punch. In just 5 back-to-back bulls eye shots, I perforated the back of my new Gamo 18 gauge sheet metal target housing...will need to beef it up to keep using! I've not had the chance to take it out long range (50 to 100 yds), but am confident it will be a very accurate plinker and small game hunter! gun)

The JSB exact heavy pellets shoot very well out of my boys gun we tested penetration in bullistic gel with that pellet at 90 yards and was getting around 6" of penetration. We shoot water bottles at that range regularly. I cannot believe we are getting this much out of a .177 break barrel pellet gun it has been a hoot. On my boys gun we took out the 5 mm trigger adjustment screw and replaced it with a 10mm screw it took a ton of the horrible trigger creap out and shoots pretty good with that mod.

The JSB exact heavy pellets shoot very well out of my boys gun we tested penetration in bullistic gel with that pellet at 90 yards and was getting around 6" of penetration. We shoot water bottles at that range regularly. I cannot believe we are getting this much out of a .177 break barrel pellet gun it has been a hoot. On my boys gun we took out the 5 mm trigger adjustment screw and replaced it with a 10mm screw it took a ton of the horrible trigger creap out and shoots pretty good with that mod.

Ever since the crosman 760 I've been an air rifle fan. Cheap, reliable, and easy alternative to get in that high volume practice. I can't believe you took an air rifle out to 90 yards! What was the accuracy like? I might check Out this rifle now. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Ever since the crosman 760 I've been an air rifle fan. Cheap, reliable, and easy alternative to get in that high volume practice. I can't believe you took an air rifle out to 90 yards! What was the accuracy like? I might check Out this rifle now. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

I did call Gamo concerning their sheet metal target housing...they recommend a "minimum of 25yds" when shooting a 1000fps air rifle like mine to keep from destroying it and minimize shrapnel and ricochet (Min. Distance Not mentioned in the packaging description or directions). As a matter of principle, I returned the very damaged unit back to Academy so They can pass that important safety tip to Their Customers, as Gamo doesn't! So, the Benjamin Titan XS is a powerful .177. Bet with the right ammo, it could equally be accurate at 100yds, just maybe not lethal!?

After the return, for my close indoor range, I built a 3" thick by 1.5ft x 3ft target board made with 2x6's and 3\4" plywood (hangs on garage door). It's a little heavy, but Easily stops and absorbs 7.9g HP Benjamin lead pellets at 10yds. (about 3\4" penetrations). The plywood on both sides could easily handle 5-10K shots before needing replacement...total cost less than $5! My paste on GlowShot targets work great and because of the wood absorption, there's No Noise, Ricochets, Shrapnel or Lead Dust to contend with!!

I've got the Benjamin titan xp .177 and it loves the copperhead 10.5g domes....I've killed doves and pigeons out to 75 yards and was killing water bottles out to 100 yards the other day. ...

My boy uses his on all sorts of small animals with good results last night he hit a raccoon but we could not recover it maybe a little light for that size game but what a blast

We have a 3/4" plywood target we use when shooting in the man cave at about 18 yards it works great for testing ammo because there is zero wind we ordered a pellet assortment from Straight Shooters Precision Airguns with 30 diffrent pellets and the jsb exact heavy 10.34 gr seem to be the best with his gun the jsb monsters work well out of his gun also but at 13.43 gr they drop pretty fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.