Benelli supernova anyone?

Calvin45

I've never had like a serious modern waterfowl shotgun and am in the market for something not too pricey (under 1000) but not the absolute cheapest junk possible (those Turkish made guns that go by about half a dozen brands, the mossberg mavericks, etc).

I've been handling a few different ones at my work and actually have been coming to think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 3.5 inch chamber benelli supernova. It seems to have a lot going for it and feels comfortable and natural to shoulder and cycle for me. I appreciate the extra large trigger guard as well.

Any reason I shouldn't?

It kicks like a mule with a 3.5" in it compared to something like a sbe (I know that's over your 1000$ budget, but just an example against an inertia gun). I think it kicks more than my 3.5" o/u
Oh for sure I'm prepared for that. I can't imagine it'd kick as bad as the 3.5 inch pump mossbergs and winchesters in the shop that seem to weigh a notable amount less still. But for sure im aware of the sbe being a sweetheart, just out of my league right now and I do like the simple, rugged, idiot-proof reliability of a pump 12 guage. Recoil I can handle. But does it have other known issues? I have googled of course but honestly find the good folks on LRH know more than "the Google" haha

My brother got one when it first came out and I think him and I shot it for a hunt each. Then it never got shot again.

I shot a browning citori satin hunter 3.5". It was stolen in a break-in a few years back and I've not been able to find one to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 47
I've shot both the Supernova and own a Nova. Personally I like the 1st series Nova over the Super. As far as recoil, 3.5" steel doesn't kick that bad, lead is a whole different story lol. The Nova had the option of a recoil reducer which I have in mine and did put a limbsaver pad on it but don't feel you have to. Doubt you could go wrong with either the Nova or the Super. I'm ashamed of what I've put my Nova through for the last 20ish years and it still goes bang every time I pull the trigger lol.

I've never had like a serious modern waterfowl shotgun and am in the market for something not too pricey (under 1000) but not the absolute cheapest junk possible (those Turkish made guns that go by about half a dozen brands, the mossberg mavericks, etc).

I've been handling a few different ones at my work and actually have been coming to think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 3.5 inch chamber benelli supernova. It seems to have a lot going for it and feels comfortable and natural to shoulder and cycle for me. I appreciate the extra large trigger guard as well.

Any reason I shouldn't?
Only if you plan on shooting 3.5" shells I shoot a browning 10ga for my dedicated waterfowl gun and it's way easier to shoot than this or any pump gun in 3.5s. These pump guns in any brand kick harder than any gun that I've ever shot period. Find a used Winchester SX3 or a Browning Maxus these are great guns and you'll have some money left to buy some ammo

Any reason I shouldn't?
If you're dead set on a pump gun they've never built one better than an Remington 870 I've got 2 and one was my Christmas present 52 years ago, there's no telling how many thousand rounds its had shot through it and it still shoots as good as ever

Only if you plan on shooting 3.5" shells I shoot a browning 10ga for my dedicated waterfowl gun and it's way easier to shoot than this or any pump gun in 3.5s. These pump guns in any brand kick harder than any gun that I've ever shot period. Find a used Winchester SX3 or a Browning Maxus these are great guns and you'll have some money left to buy some ammo

Oh I hear ya. I do certainly plan to shoot "Normal" shells too. But it's nice to have the option to shoot anything, so I want the 3.5 chamber.

You mention recoil….i read a funny article a while back that determined that a typical pump action 12 guage shooting the heaviest 3.5 inch turkey loads delivers more foot pounds of felt recoil WITH a much faster recoil impulse velocity than a typical weight safari bolt rifle in .458 win mag with 500 grain bullets.

The takeaway: turkey hunters are a curious lot. They endure more punishment to hunt a bird that isn't even that good at flying than they'd endure to hunt the biggest land animal on this planet 🤣🤣🤣

Oh I hear ya. I do certainly plan to shoot "Normal" shells too. But it's nice to have the option to shoot anything, so I want the 3.5 chamber.

You mention recoil….i read a funny article a while back that determined that a typical pump action 12 guage shooting the heaviest 3.5 inch turkey loads delivers more foot pounds of felt recoil WITH a much faster recoil impulse velocity than a typical weight safari bolt rifle in .458 win mag with 500 grain bullets.

The takeaway: turkey hunters are a curious lot. They endure more punishment to hunt a bird that isn't even that good at flying than they'd endure to hunt the biggest land animal on this planet 🤣🤣🤣
That's alot of the reason I reload my turkey shells I only shoot a 2.75" shell with 1oz of #4 heavyweight 13 under .375 oz of #9 heavyweight 18 at 1300 fps this load is a turkey killing machine out to 60 yds

Supposedly with a 10ga turkey load, the recoil is equivalent to a 500NE. I have a bps 10 and had to know what it was like with a turkey load, that's a whole new level of recoil.