Benchrest Quality Dies for 6.5 Creedmoor

whidden- Read about Fl sizing. If shell holder contacts the Fi die, shoulder may be pushed back to far.

When the 2 dont make contact, a press with sloppy linkage , may produce a variation in shoulder bump.

This is where Redding competition shell holder sets help, with Redding dies.

I set up all my dies for a bolt.gun for a 0.0015 shoulder bump and I use a co-ax press. Coax press doesn't have a typical Shell holder

I set up all my dies for a bolt.gun for a 0.0015 shoulder bump and I use a co-ax press. Coax press doesn't have a typical Shell holder

My RCBS was bought in 1973 and has a little slop/play and the competition shell holders help greatly in helping to have uniform shoulder location.

If your press doesn't have any flex then it may not matter. "BUT" I buy a lot of once fired Lake City 5.56 brass and I want the shoulder location constant. And the ammo is fired in 3 AR15 rifles.

kendallhadden

You need to measure how much your necks expand before choosing a bushing die. The last thing you need is to increase neck runout because you have to reduce the neck diameter ,005 or more.

I have been reloading for over 46 years and was amazed by the Forster full length benchrest dies. And the reduction in neck runout and even correcting neck runout.

A full length die with a expander in not the end of the world as many claim. Just polish the expander and lube the inside of the case neck and your brass will be happy.

My RCBS was bought in 1973 and has a little slop/play and the competition shell holders help greatly in helping to have uniform shoulder location.

If your press doesn't have any flex then it may not matter. "BUT" I buy a lot of once fired Lake City 5.56 brass and I want the shoulder location constant. And the ammo is fired in 3 AR15 rifles.

I have a 40+ year old rockchucker that is still going strong too! Loaded many rounds with it.

On my AR's I set the die up for a 0.003 shoulder bump.

If you are loading for 3 different AR's and mixing them up then I would find the shortest chamber and size them all for it.

For precision I would.separate brass by rifle and have a.different die set up for each

I have a 40+ year old rockchucker that is still going strong too! Loaded many rounds with it.

On my AR's I set the die up for a 0.003 shoulder bump.

If you are loading for 3 different AR's and mixing them up then I would find the shortest chamber and size them all for it.

For precision I would.separate brass by rifle and have a.different die set up for each

Been there done that, all case shoulders bumped back .003 and they are .002 longer than LC M193 ammo. And using Hornady cartridge case headspace gauge and final loaded rounds are given a "plop" test in a JP Enterprise case gauge. This gauge is cut with a finish reamer and also checks the case diameter. All the other drop in case gauges only check shoulder location.

Meaning if it drops into the JP Enterprize gauge it will fit in any chamber.

Hello,
Thanks for your input. I actually have a Forster Coax press so I don't use shell holders. I did find the PDF from Whidden concerning the proper way to set up their sizer. It is different and thanks for the heads up. Hopefully that won't cause a problem. If you have any links you would like to share concerning setting up Whidden, I would greatly appreciate it.
kwh

whidden- Read about Fl sizing. If shell holder contacts the Fi die, shoulder may be pushed back to far.

When the 2 dont make contact, a press with sloppy linkage , may produce a variation in shoulder bump.

This is where Redding competition shell holder sets help, with Redding dies.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably order a Forster FL resizer once they are back in stock. They are hard to find right now.
kwh

kendallhadden

You need to measure how much your necks expand before choosing a bushing die. The last thing you need is to increase neck runout because you have to reduce the neck diameter ,005 or more.

I have been reloading for over 46 years and was amazed by the Forster full length benchrest dies. And the reduction in neck runout and even correcting neck runout.

A full length die with a expander in not the end of the world as many claim. Just polish the expander and lube the inside of the case neck and your brass will be happy.

The Redding competition dies are very good dies and I used them for F class reloading for some time. If you want the best take a look at the L. E. Wilson chamber dies. You can also get a Redding body die to go with the Wilson dies if you want to full length size after a number of firings.

Got one of my forster dies on ebay and the other from Midsouth Shooters a couple weeks ago. Only place I found with them in stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.