Benchrest Quality Dies for 6.5 Creedmoor

kendallhadden

Until now, the dies I have purchased have been basic dies for hunting. Now I want to purchase some benchrest quality dies for my Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I first looked at the Redding Competition Bushing 3 Die Set, but after reading a bunch of post on numerous forums I've back tracked some. Now I'm looking at purchasing the Forster Ultra Micrometer seater, Redding Competition Bushing Neck Sizer and the Redding Body die. Part of me says to purchase all Forster, but I really don't know what to do. Any input or advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

If I was looking for benchrest quality it would be Widden then Forster, although I'm sure I Cannot shoot the difference. I have a Whidden 6br die and had the Forster dies for my 7saum. Loading for a new .243 barrel and I am not liking my current die (Lee) fl sizer,
first time ever! Looking at making a purchase of a new die and can not make up my mind.

Don Dunlap

I looked at the Whidden Die set and it comes with a Full Length Sizer. From what I've read, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I would really rather have a Neck Sizer rather than Full Length sizing every time. I know people have differing views about this.

If I was looking for benchrest quality it would be Widden then Forster, although I'm sure I Cannot shoot the difference. I have a Whidden 6br die and had the Forster dies for my 7saum. Loading for a new .243 barrel and I am not liking my current die (Lee) fl sizer,
first time ever! Looking at making a purchase of a new die and can not make up my mind.

Don Dunlap

If you have a standard SAAMI chamber I would just use the Forster full length benchrest sizing die. These Forster dies have a high mounted floating expander that greatly reduces neck runout or even correct runout.

If you reduced the neck diameter .005 or more with a bushing die you can induce neck runout.

And at the Whidden custom die website they tell you their non-bushing dies produce the most concentric ammunition. They also sell expander ball kits with five expanders in .001 increments.

I get the least neck runout with my standard Forster lull length dies compared to the bushing dies I have. And the reloader has no control over how much the case neck expands when fired.

Bushing dies work best with tight neck chambers with neck turned brass, and off the shelf factory rifles do not have tight neck chambers.

Measure the neck of a fired case and the neck of a loaded round and see how much the neck will need to be reduced.

I would go with a Foster Ultra seater, a Redding body die and a Lee collet die. I have this for my 22/250 and I find it works very good. If you just want to neck size then the collet die does this, and if you want full length sizing then the Redding body die with the collet die does the trick. Best way, I find , to greatly reduce neck run out.

Forster full length sizing die.andie forster micrometer seating.die or.even their standard benchrest seating die if you aren't going to be playing with a bunch of different bullets and seating.depths

Forster full length sizing die.andie forster micrometer seating.die or.even their standard benchrest seating die if you aren't going to be playing with a bunch of different bullets and seating.depths

I'm having trouble finding the Forster dies. Any recommendations on where to find both?
kwh

Now that is strange. They have the seating die but not the sizing die.

I sent them an email. Let you know what they say

Here is.forsters reply

Rick,

We do offer a 6.5 Creedmoor Full Length Sizing die.* Our part number is 005348 on our website at Reloading Tools & Gunsmithing Tools - Forster Products.

This die is in production right now, but very near being available to ship.* We should have them back in stock within the next week or so.

Many of our distributors also order them, but I'm not certain you would be able to find one in stock.* The only one that may have it in stock right now is Redwood Reloading in Sallisaw, OK.*

Thank you for the inquiry.* Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Diane

Hey Rick,
Thanks for the help. I'm still going back and forth between Forster and Whidden. I like the fact that Whidden is a Georgia base company.

Here is.forsters reply

Rick,

We do offer a 6.5 Creedmoor Full Length Sizing die.* Our part number is 005348 on our website at Reloading Tools & Gunsmithing Tools - Forster Products.

This die is in production right now, but very near being available to ship.* We should have them back in stock within the next week or so.

Many of our distributors also order them, but I'm not certain you would be able to find one in stock.* The only one that may have it in stock right now is Redwood Reloading in Sallisaw, OK.*

Thank you for the inquiry.* Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Diane

Hey Rick,
Thanks for the help. I'm still going back and forth between Forster and Whidden. I like the fact that Whidden is a Georgia base company.

Don't think you will go wrong with whidden. Fact is I am going to send them some of my 6BR fired brass for custom dies.

My rational is I know what forster dies have done for me and for.a production die I can't see the difference in the cost

Of course I probably don't need the custom dies either. But I want them!

whidden- Read about Fl sizing. If shell holder contacts the Fi die, shoulder may be pushed back to far.

When the 2 dont make contact, a press with sloppy linkage , may produce a variation in shoulder bump.

This is where Redding competition shell holder sets help, with Redding dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.