Powders For 6.5 Creedmoor

Mostly because they don't. The load printed on the box is to duplicate velocity numbers only.
The only major factory that loads canister grade powder, is Nosler.

Also they don't have any proprietary powder. The powders in their Superformance aren't what you buy in the bottle. They come from General Dynamics, where Dave Emary used to build powder.

Did not really mean to indicate powders in their Superformance ammo was the stuff we buy.... Was just saying if the Superformance powder was the best option why did they not use it and publish that on the box to help sell their branded powder.

So the bottle of powder that I have that says Superformance and Hornady on it is not proprietary to Hornady?

I noticed they seem to have quit putting the data on the boxes anyway. Wondered about that fact as they said early on they would show what load was in the box.
Guess lawyers got involved in that....

Did not really mean to indicate powders in their Superformance ammo was the stuff we buy.... Was just saying if the Superformance powder was the best option why did they not use it and publish that on the box to help sell their branded powder.

So the bottle of powder that I have that says Superformance and Hornady on it is not proprietary to Hornady?

I noticed they seem to have quit putting the data on the boxes anyway. Wondered about that fact as they said early on they would show what load was in the box.
Guess lawyers got involved in that....

Ahh, I get it now. I can't really answer you on the propriatary, and life isn't that cut and dry.
Here is some examples for you.
Hornady does not load canister-grade powder, that is the powder that you and I buy with a Brand name on it. Hornady loads their entire line, currently, with 34 different powders.

So propriatary.... What you know as CFE223, is a General Dynamics powder. In bulk grade it is called SMP-842. That powder has been around for MORE than a decade, lots of us were using it as surplus, until Hodgy bought everything, and now have a swanky name; no more surplus.
Does Winchester have the "exclusive" on Win 760? ....Well kind-of. When that name gets sold, Hodgy pays a royalty to Olin, for the exclusivitiy of the name.
That powder is made by General Dynamics also. That EXACT SAME POWDER, gets sold by Hodgy as a few names. H414, Win 760, AA2700. So each of those brands are proprietary to the namesake.
The difference is only in the normal lot variances.

Specifically does that identical powder get sold to us under another name? I'm not sure on that one yet.

As to why they don't promote it for the Creed. This can be a very complicated answer.
Hodgdon has only ever been a surplus blender/reseller. They do very little of their own testing. Most of what they sell, is memories from companies who no longer even make those powders.

They got a bit of a PR blackeye over it in the first place, because people are rather large idiots, so the just keep quiet.

My favorite 6.5 Creedmoor load with Superformance is with Barnes 127gr LRX BT bullets. At 44.5gr the primers are flattened but the bolt lifts easily. C.O.A.L. is 2.725. Hornady brass and CCI 200 primers. Best group was .25" I estimate the velocity to be around 2900fps out of my Ruger American Predator rifle.

Rl 17 is my go to powder in the 6.5
140 gr match burners 41.7 of Rl 17

Attachments

• B9A86DC4-466F-4505-B9BA-A0B10A756E7E.jpeg
    B9A86DC4-466F-4505-B9BA-A0B10A756E7E.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 50
Superformance has been the best in five 6.5 SIM's I have loaded for. Only shooting 140gr target or actual hunting bullets (not re-labeled target) in them. Great velocity, accuracy, and pressure levels for the velocity.

5 years later and H4340 is still the best powder for accuracy and R26 is giving 6.5/284 like velocities. H4350 was the powder used in the original load. If your rifle wont shoot a 140 eldm and H4350 sell it lol.

Superformance is fine but for pure accuracy H4831sc was the bomb diggity just didn't give the FPS I was looking for in 1000yd shooting but if I didn't dabble with the longer range stuff I'd only use H4831sc

Recent Posts