bell and carlson stock?

sigep538

I found a model 700 in 7mm rem. like i have been searching for for $385, it has a bell and carlson camo stock and supposally free floated. Are these any good. this is a used rifle and I am in college so the price is very attractive. Any thing I should look for as for as problems??

thanks Sigep538

Hey Sige, Really there isnt anything wrong with B&C stocks. I have had a few but not in 7mm mag. I think the only thing to be aware of is stress from the recoil of the caliber. Also is the gun at a dealer, pawn shop or individual? When buying from P{awn shops, give the gun a good inspection, like checking the bore and see how clean the gun is inside the action. When buying from a dealer or individual you normaly dont have these issues, except for the individual misrepresenting the gun. Ask how many rounds have been through the gun. Most normal hunters dont put alot of rounds through a gun so that can be good for you. Other than that, it should be a very good gun, I would consider a muzzle break if it has too much recoil. Hope this helps you a bit.

sounds nice somthing I would buy I hope it is a rem mag do some inturnal work trigerjob, get rid of that tang so the bolt stays lock down and have the scope rings check by a gunsmith a good one dont trust the scope thart is on it trade it in or put it on a 22 unless it is a ziees, leup. or a shepard

sig:
Give the rifle a thorough inspection....

Look over all the externals...any cracks, wear, dings, dents? If there are, try to determine if they are superficial or symptamatic of a larger problem.

Take the bolt ouf of the rifle and inspect it. Any gunsmith work done on it? (lapping)? does the bolt face look ok?

To check if the barrel is free-floated, just take a dollar bill and wrap it around the end of the muzzle. Push it toward the action and it should go all the way back to within an inch or so of the recoil lug. I would think the barrel is free floating as most B&C stocks are inlet enough.

Get a bore light and take a look at the inside of the barrel. You should be able to see the lands and grooves from the end of the chamber to the tip of the barrel. If not, it might need to be replaced and could be a negotiating point to lower the price.

Lift the action out of the stock. Inpect the inside of the stock. Any cracks? (interior cracks would be bad)

Does the price include a scope, rings and bases? Look over all those components and consider their condition and quality.

If it includes a decent scope, rings and bases $385 is a decent price, but I'd still try to negotiate lower considering you can buy a brand new Rem 700 SPS for $450 and that would include a cheap scope, rings and bases.

Good luck.

Nothen wrong with a B&C stock. Read and heed the previous posts, good advice here. One thing I would like to add. Check to see if you have a full length CNC machined alum beding block. If it does bonus, snap it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.