Bell and Carlson stocks

Casey Napier

Need a new stock for a sporter 300RUM. Is the Bell and Carlson sporter stock any good? I know HS and McMillan are good, but the Bell and Carlsons are priced very resonable, and this rifle will only be used for one week long elk hunt next year, so I hate too spend $400 on a stock for the one hunt, but I want to improve over the factory junk.

Thanks
RidgeRooster

I can understnad the not wanting to pay 400 for a stock but if you decide to sell that gun it will increase your value. I dont know much abou the Bell and Carlson stocks.

RidgeRooster, B&C stocks are used by Remington on some of their rifles(like their Titanium 700). Stocks are heavy compared to the better stocks out there. They are fairly stiff and stable. My biggest problem is their weight. You won't gain any weight loss using a B&C. You might even go up! With after market stocks, you get what you pay for!

This past summer, I put a B&C stock on my .300 WM for an elk hunt in the fall. I was pleased with it, although I did spend some time sanding and fitting. I, too, did not want to spend $400 for what might be a one-time hunt.

i just bought a used model 700 in 7mm rem as my first long range rifle, it came with a b&c stock it dosent seem to weigh any less than a conventional stock but it fits me like a coustom stock. i am a small stautre guy 5'9" @ 155lbs but since the rifle fits me it seems to recoil like a mild 308. I do need to do a little sanding to fully float the ballel this summer,but I am already shooting ~.5 moa at 100 yards with factory ammo so i might just leave well enough alone. I think that they are great for the price.

Ridgerunner: try the B&C Carbelite stock, I had purchased 1 of them for Mdl.77 Ruger Rifle and been very pleased with it . I do have 4 McMillens and I have to say You do get what You pay for .
I purchased one for My son's Ruger 270 Cal the B&C Carbelite and it shot very well , I also have a Rem 700 with that Factory plastic stock they put on them about 12 yrs. ago and so I purchased another one for it and I do like it and it does feel better that the Rem Factory plastic stock but it is heavier.
I will say this also if you had both stocks together , you would probably pick the Mcmillen over the B&C . there is that much difference between the two in feel and quality.I also realize that there is a big money difference also.
You might keep checking on Ebay (rifle stocks) that is where I purchased both of the Carbelite B&C stocks
Navarro

Just look at their website and saw a Tactical stock ala McMillan A-5 for $398 complete with adjustable cheekpiece and buttplate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I was wondering if anyone here have tried em. I don't want to waste 400 bucks and be disappointed later on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I ordered a B&C stock for my M700 BDL in .280 Remington. The stock I ordered is the medalist (pillar bedded) mountain rife stock that is the same as used on the Factory Remington titanium rifle (not listed in the catalogue, but call them)

It is a lightweight, about 20 oz, comparable to any lightweight stock out there. I had to enlarge the barrel channel to fit the sporter contour but it is a great stock.
I love mine.

I have three HS Precision stocks and a McMillan A5 (WHICH I LOVE!)

If I could afford it, they would all be A5's, but the HS Precision's are extremely well made also, and have some very nice CUSTOM features.

Look, I understand about the money issue, by what you can afford and enjoy, especialy if you can order it with some custom features that will make it a much better fit for YOU!!!
Since we are talking about custom stocks, get it with a LOP that will match yours when you will use it most. Average is 13 1/2" to 13 3/4". If you will use it in the prone position only, get it 1" longer. Thats average for shooting prone, if you will use it in hunting only, maybe get it 1" shorter, so it will fit when you have all that hunting clothes on. Or get it to fit, without, maybe you might just use it a bit more than you think.

The e-gay idea has merit, if you don't get too robust in the bidding, and if there is time. Set limits, and stick to them.

That A-5 that was mentioned in the above post is a S-T-E-E-L, to get all that is offered would cost close to $900 if you are not a dealer.

Good Luck with your decision, and don't forget to show us a pic after its all put together. Rifle pics are as good as PB, and much safer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for all the input! I think that I will save and get an HS or McMillan. I am pretty picky about my guns, and I know I will not be happy unless I get one of the top quality stocks.

RidgeRooster

You can buy one of their Ti stocks made for Remington, they weigh quite a bit less than their normal line.

I believe they go less than 26 ounces.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.