Beginner who has read the posts- Now some questions

JAMMAN

Hello all,

I have been working my way back from the very first posts archived on these pages to try and answer the questions I have before I post. Let me tell you what little I have, what my goals are, and what I think I should do.

Equipment
I have limited equipment. I inherited a Ruger M77 in .270win with a 3x9 Leupold Gold Ring Vari-X II Scope on it. I used it to take deer over the past 2 years, with multiple taken this past fall with the longest shot at around 330yds (ranged by using mapping software, as it's down a slope and up another). I also have a .300 Savage, in model 99 (think I can shoot 1500 yds with that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I have little else for the gun sports being a bowhunter.

Goals
I definitely want to be able to rain down on deer out to 500yds and put them in the freezer. I'd like to take the occasional pop shot at woodchucks, but they aren't overly plentiful here. I have no other large game here to take. I'd love to be able to eventually shoot in the 800-1000yd range (w/in reason).

Action
I've been thinking about a .308, reason being that for the beginner there is tons of data, bullets, etc. Also, cheaper to reload than those pushing 2x as much powder and a little more exotic lead as well as longevity of gun. I have been reading and am leaning towards something in the Savage line to get started easily enough out of the box. If I can get up and running with the .270, great! (As an aside, I've read where someone breaks in even used guns as if they are new since he doesn't know what shape they were in. Good idea or not?) Since reading I had also played with the idea (of course) of a Rem 700 or even trying to find a Win 70 Stealth.

I plan to begin reloading and am gathering information on a good reloading setup that will meet the needs. I also have seen a few books mentioned here, one being something like "Shooting 1000yds" or thereabouts. I plan on purchasing that once I find it again.

I know I can get my brother into this and he'll work as spotter with me.

What else should I be looking at? What am I missing? Where is the absolute starting point? I don't want to build on bad habits. Should I go back and find the Army's manual on rifles and work on technique there, or what?

ANY ideas or links or anything is appreciated.
Thank you

Is that "precision shooting at 1000 yds" you are refering to?
If so ive got an offer for you. Contact me via email if interested.

First off welcome to the forum!
I can't answer all your questions but I will take a stab at a few of them.... Here goes

#1 the 270 is a good round for your first goal of taking deer to 500 yards with proper practice.
#2 with effort you should be able to do 800 to 1000 with the right equipment.
#3 the 308 would be a good round for a first long range stick that is very capable of 1000 yard shooting and as you said very easy to find load data for as well as cheap components and a long barrel life.
#4 Savage makes a darn good rifle for an even better price so don't feel bad about buying one if thats what you decide.
#5 you mentioned books on shooting and thats not a bad idea and also pick one up on reloading to give yourself some extra insight and pick up some extra tips to make things easier for you.

You have been doing plenty of reading here and thats a great start.
There are plenty of folks here that can answer your questions better than me and will have more info for you as well!
Have fun!

On Reloading,

I did purchase last fall the Sierra Reloading manual 5th edition and the Lyman 48th Edition. I must say, I was very disappointed once I began understanding the mechanics of things that the Sierra no longer included BC's.

Welcome Jamman,
The very first 13 pages of your Sierra 5th manual should have all the BCs of all Sierra's bullets, if it dos'nt then they are missing or do we get something different here in the UK.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

This is very strange guys, my buddies have the BC lists aswell! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
122sierra_manual_004-med.JPG

122more_sierra_002-med.JPG

This manual came in the factory sealed Wrapper with all the loose leaves in place.
I think one of you guys should contact Siera and ask why you dont have them.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

I agree, we need to call to ask. I have looked all over that manual and read it front to back except for reading every point on every cartridge. I have no BC chart in there. I found a few areas that looked like they were pushing the calculator program of their own so thought maybe they were pushing it instead. But I have no chart.

I'll see if I can give them a call sometime this week. Thanks for all the input.

Ok guys,

I called Sierra today and asked whether there were supposed to be a BC chart in the 5th Edition. He told me that, "No, there were just so many pages already, we decided not to put it in there.

So, guys, at least here in the US, it looks like we have to rely on the website or calling and having them quote the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts