Beginner Reloader - Kit and/or parts?

Things people have recommended that I would skip in your situation:

Ogive measuring tool. Since you are shooting 300WM and hybrid 215s you are going to load them to magazine length. Just measure the oal of the ones you presently have and duplicate those.

Micrometer seating die. Sort of same thing, I really don't think you will need it since you've got a ton of freebore and you can just fiddle with a regular die to get your bullets short enough to fit in the magazine.

Collett dies, neck dies, bushing dies. These things have their place but minimally sizing brass has its drawbacks for a beginner. Plus the cost of all this stuff adds up.

Definitely do get- decapping die, imperial wax

My favorite luxury item is my rcbs bench mounted priming tool. I can't believe I did it with the hand tool before. Chargemaster scale is a close second. Mandrels are pretty nice I wish I had gotten into those earlier.

You should be shopping for components before you even worry about the tools because if you can't find powder and primers the tools aren't going to be much good to you.

Things people have recommended that I would skip in your situation:

Ogive measuring tool. Since you are shooting 300WM and hybrid 215s you are going to load them to magazine length. Just measure the oal of the ones you presently have and duplicate those.

Micrometer seating die. Sort of same thing, I really don't think you will need it since you've got a ton of freebore and you can just fiddle with a regular die to get your bullets short enough to fit in the magazine.

Collett dies, neck dies, bushing dies. These things have their place but minimally sizing brass has its drawbacks for a beginner. Plus the cost of all this stuff adds up.

Definitely do get- decapping die, imperial wax

My favorite luxury item is my rcbs bench mounted priming tool. I can't believe I did it with the hand tool before. Chargemaster scale is a close second. Mandrels are pretty nice I wish I had gotten into those earlier.

You should be shopping for components before you even worry about the tools because if you can't find powder and primers the tools aren't going to be much good to you.
May I ask why CBTO doesn't matter with the 215s? This rifle was throated specifically for the 215s and magazine size is no issue.

I was only provided with the COAL of the loaded round, not CBTO. I figured the ogive measurement would still matter?

May I ask why CBTO doesn't matter with the 215s? This rifle was throated specifically for the 215s and magazine size is no issue.

I was only provided with the COAL of the loaded round, not CBTO. I figured the ogive measurement would still matter?
CBTO is almost always more dependable than OAL, especially with non turned cup and core bullets. The tip/ meplat is very inconsistent in length.

The hybrid design is more forgiving than secant ogive profiles, so if your off a few thousandths, it shouldn't adversely affect your precision as much as some others. But I believe consistency is king in precision reloading and the comparators will greatly help you in this regard

Last edited:

I was only provided with the COAL of the loaded round, not CBTO. I figured the ogive measurement would still
I was assuming you had a factory rifle with a huge amount of freebore because you are shooting 300wm. It never occurred to me that one could load a 215 hybrid anywhere even close to the lands in that cartridge. Not that I think you should be loading close to the lands as a new reloader.

I was assuming you had a factory rifle with a huge amount of freebore because you are shooting 300wm. It never occurred to me that one could load a 215 hybrid anywhere even close to the lands in that cartridge. Not that I think you should be loading close to the lands as a new reloader.
No worries at all, I should have clarified.

The load data I received indicated it's loaded .025 off the lands.