Beginner Questions?

Misfire

What is the process for neck only sizing?

Do I need to fire form new unfired brass before any sizing activity or do I need to FL resize, trim etc.. before loading for the first time? If the new brass needs to be resized before firing should I simply neck size first?

For the initial fire forming shot should I expect to simply waste the loads or should I try to achieve some sort of accuracy out of the form firing?

I have some spanking new brass and neck sizer that I want to try out but I'm unsure how to go about it properly. I've always used once fired (from my rifle.. no hand me down stuff.) brass and FL resizer dies.

By "fire forming" I'm refering to the first shot of virgin brass out of my plain vanilla 7mm Rem Mag. I'm not actually froming a wildcat from factory brass or anything like that..

Thanks for any input!

Chad

If I am trying to do test shot groups with new brass and trying to make everything as close as possible, I will FL resize it (you are always best off doing your testing with the brass preporation that you intend to use.) I try to always use neck sized casings that have been fired at least once. I get a little more powder volume out of them and I think I get good consistency by using neck sized brass.

Many people sware by partle full length resizeing. I have never played with it.

Good luck, Mark.

As BRITZ said full length size.but while your at it trim to length,
deburr the primer pocket and weight sort the brass this way you
when you fire form you can check your chamber for concentricity
before neck sizing. and start with matched brass.

A simple way to do this is to roll the cases on a peice of glass or
mirror and you can see the run out if there is any.

Load on the light side with regular bullets to fire form but not hard
enough to shorten case life.

Now when you neck size and load you have the best case fit and
headspace for your rifle.

Hope this helps
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.