Bedding in front of the recoil lug and POI

robdaniels

I am getting really to install pillars and then full action bed a wood stock my Remington 700 270 WSM.. I have had B&C stocks, to much flex, and have a HS stock now on a Ruger 300 Win Mag, but another HS stock just isn't in my budget at this time. Just retried this year and still waiting to fully adjust, besides I have always loved the look and feel of a really nice CDL wood stock.

Any way when bedding the Broughton LT Varmint Sporter barrel I am undecided to bed the first 1.5 to 2 inches of the barrel in front of the recoil lug. In a "Stress Free Bedding" wouldn't the bedding under the first couple of inches of the barrel cause stress once it warmed up and expanded? I don't think that barrel is heavy , 4.5 lbs, 3 inch shank, enough to really require the additional support is it? I would think a totally stress free bedding job would keep the POI very close, cold, warm or fouled. That's what I hopping for anyway.

Your thoughts please. I am the kind of guy that likes to really understand how things work. Maybe I am over thinking it, but that is why I am asking you guys that have tons more experience than I do.

Thanks

Rob, I've bedded them both ways, but never a wood stock. I run a 30" Bull on my model 12 Savage Varmint action without bedding under the barrel in front of the lug with no accuracy issues. This rifle is used for 1000yard F/Class, I get it hot in 22 shot strings and it holds. I have others with bigger and longer barrels without also that are just as good during long strings of fire. In my experience and what I've learned, I will never bed in front again. I just don't think it is needed.

Thanks, I installed pillars and full action bedding today. I free floated the barrel from the recoil lug forward. I'll submit a range report soon.

Heat is not the issue. Any forearm pressure transmits directly into the barrel with the barrel pad and stresses the action. Free floated means nothing touching forward of the lug. I prefer free floated barrels.

I tried my Sendero 300 wby first with action + two inches in front of the lug then removed promptly due to the resulting accuracy loss. Once I removed all of the bedding in front of the lugs the bedding job really paid off.

Thanks folks for all your input. I knew heat was an issue, but didn't really think vibration that far back in a 3 inch shank would cause much. That really helped once I thought it all through.
Thanks again.

Oh, I am not shooting anything hot. My load is a 150gr SGK with 66 grains of Magpro doing close to 2900 fps. I keep each shot 5 minutes apart and enjoy myself. I try to keep a constant barrel temperature and my groups are tighter. If I fire say three or four in a row heat then becomes an issue causing the groups to open some. This is my hobby and I enjoy shooting paper out at 500 and 600 yards. Thanks for asking.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.