Bedding for BRNO VZ-24 Mauser - glass or block

atl5029

Hi Everyone,

So I'm starting to build a 30-06 on a BRNO VZ-24 Mauser action. The intended purpose of this rifle will just be a general hunting rifle for mostly deer, but maybe bear and elk too. Not really planning to go long range with this gun, but if it can hold good groups out to range, I might take a 500 yard shot with it.

My question is whether it would be worth it to get a stock with a full aluminum bedding block for this build. I've done builds with other old military actions in the past (Mosin Nagants and a Springfield 1903-A3), and in my experience you can't count on the tolerances on these old actions to be the same, or even close sometimes. My concern is that if I buy a stock with an aluminum block, that the recoil lug wont have contact with the block where it should and I'll end up having to glass bed it anyway. Anyone have experience with Mausers and bedding blocks? I was thinking about going with a Bell and Carlson. Or should I just stick with my standby, which is a Boyds stock and Devcon Plastic Steel bedding?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a stock with an aluminium bedding block, just as you pointed out, I never find them to fit every action perfectly.
I would do the next best thing, glass and pillar bed the action.
You didn't say whether you will be using a wood or synthetic stock.
Either way, I would do both the same.

I also bed the bottom metal, if needed.

Cheers.
gun)

Personally, I wouldn't buy a stock with an aluminium bedding block, just as you. ointed out, I never find them to fit every action perfectly.
I would do the next best thing, glass and pillar bed the action.
You didn't say whether you will be using a wood or synthetic stock.
Either way, I would do both the same.

I also bed the bottom metal, if needed.

Cheers.
gun)

For all if my bolt action builds so far i have used Boyds laminate stocks. I probably will on this one too. I've built 3 rifles with them and they're all solid as a rock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.