Bedding Aluminum Stocks

DesertDog

Awhile back I started hearing about, and taking some interest in the .338 Lapua. The rifle I like right now is the Savage 110BA. I'm a LH shooter, and Savage is now offering that model in LH, so it has peaked my interest.

One of the things I haven't been able to find out about in the literature is whether or not the aluminum stock that comes stock with the rifle is bedded or not.

I should back up a bit, and tell you how this became important to me. I currently shoot a Remington 700, chambered in .308. About 9 months ago, I see this video on Youtube put out by 8541 Tactical (John McQuay), detailing the installation of a B&C custom stock on the Rem. 700.

I started doing some research, and settled on the on the B&C Tactical Medalist 5. I got my hopes all up only to find out they didn't offer it in LH. The Only manufacturer that did offer it was HS Precision, but none of their stocks had the features of the B&C.

Back to the present......

I started looking for custom stocks for the 110BA, and found the only manufacturer making them is Manners.... Again, only for right handers....

The stock that comes with the 110BA has the features I would like to have in a custom stock. My question regarding this... is I don't know whether the stock is bedded or not. If it is... great... If not... I've now got to determine whether or not an aluminum stock can be bedded at all... or does an aluminum stock need to be bedded..??

Bedding of stocks is a new realm for me, so any help here would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

DD

Awhile back I started hearing about, and taking some interest in the .338 Lapua. The rifle I like right now is the Savage 110BA. I'm a LH shooter, and Savage is now offering that model in LH, so it has peaked my interest.

One of the things I haven't been able to find out about in the literature is whether or not the aluminum stock that comes stock with the rifle is bedded or not.

I should back up a bit, and tell you how this became important to me. I currently shoot a Remington 700, chambered in .308. About 9 months ago, I see this video on Youtube put out by 8541 Tactical (John McQuay), detailing the installation of a B&C custom stock on the Rem. 700.

I started doing some research, and settled on the on the B&C Tactical Medalist 5. I got my hopes all up only to find out they didn't offer it in LH. The Only manufacturer that did offer it was HS Precision, but none of their stocks had the features of the B&C.

Back to the present......

I started looking for custom stocks for the 110BA, and found the only manufacturer making them is Manners.... Again, only for right handers....

The stock that comes with the 110BA has the features I would like to have in a custom stock. My question regarding this... is I don't know whether the stock is bedded or not. If it is... great... If not... I've now got to determine whether or not an aluminum stock can be bedded at all... or does an aluminum stock need to be bedded..??

Bedding of stocks is a new realm for me, so any help here would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

DD

I doubt that it will be bedded.

I feel that all stocks should be bedded because all actions are slightly different in dimensions and
in order to get a perfect fit they must be bedded.

An all metal stock can also benefit from bedding and should be.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.