Beating The Powder Companies....- Substitute Powders???

they say made in. I know the EU made changes on the chemicals that could be used in powder manufacturing and i wonder if they made changes in location to get away from the new regulations but definitely says made in USA most likely by general dynamics

From Hodgdon site. My bottles say made in Belgium also.

TAC is a double-base spherical propellant that sets the standard for extreme accuracy and reliability with heavy bullets in the 223 Remington and match applications in 308 Winchester. Excellent flow characteristics ensure consistent metering and charge weights for repeatable results with progressive loading equipment. It is the choice for shooters who demand precision and accuracy. Made in Belgium.

X-TERMINATOR is a double-base spherical powder designed for the high volume 223 varmint hunters who demands a clean burning, accurate powder. Excellent flow characteristics and small grain size allow trouble-free loading in small diameter case necks. It performs extremely well with light to medium weight bullets in the 223 Remington. It is also an excellent choice for 17 Remington, 20 caliber cartridges, 222 Remington and the 45-70 Government. Made in Belgium.

From Hodgdon site. My bottles say made in Belgium also.

TAC is a double-base spherical propellant that sets the standard for extreme accuracy and reliability with heavy bullets in the 223 Remington and match applications in 308 Winchester. Excellent flow characteristics ensure consistent metering and charge weights for repeatable results with progressive loading equipment. It is the choice for shooters who demand precision and accuracy. Made in Belgium.

X-TERMINATOR is a double-base spherical powder designed for the high volume 223 varmint hunters who demands a clean burning, accurate powder. Excellent flow characteristics and small grain size allow trouble-free loading in small diameter case necks. It performs extremely well with light to medium weight bullets in the 223 Remington. It is also an excellent choice for 17 Remington, 20 caliber cartridges, 222 Remington and the 45-70 Government. Made in Belgium.
how old are your bottles? mine are new production. maybe Hodgen needs to up date their site

From PB Clermont site. Perhaps since Hodgdon bought Western they are bottling in the US

magnum says manufactured in Belgium for Western powders but TAC and X terminator are USA.

Well the upshot of it is, Only Accurate and Winchester powders are manufactured in the U.S. for the most part.

Ramshot may be some in U.S. but some in Belgium.

Hodgdon = Australia

IMR = Canada

Vhitavuori = Finland

Alliant = Belgium and Switzerland

you probably want to look at powders from the St. Marks plant in Florida if you want U.S. made powder... they make spherical powders.... btw, h414 is the same powder as 760- might be a different lot #
Here's a lead on 20 lbs. of Accurate 8700, very close possible substitute for RL33 or N570. Its only $25 per lb. and is repackaged from a large drum of bulk powder. This seller is on Gunbroker and located in Tennessee. Possibly you could arrange for local pick up to
save the $45 hazmat fee.

This will not be temperature protected powder, but it might be good for fire forming brass, working on zeroing loads roughly,
or just plain ammo to shoot.

Likely works well in big overbore magnums like .338 LM, maybe .300 WM with heavy bullets, and anything you are shooting RL 33 and N570 in that requires a slow burn powder. You won't likely beat $25 per lb. these days and if you are in or close to Tennessee maybe it could be a real deal.

Just got curious where any of this powder might be purchased, so I looked it up.
as to the 8700... I wouldn't buy that at 25$ a #. I would buy wc 872- mil-surp.... all the mil-surp 50 cal. and 20mm Vulcan cannon powders are relatively close burn rate wise... h870, us869, wc867, wc872, aa8700... most can be loaded to a full case (look at loading data of course) in mid mags like a 7rem for nearly full velocity at a (often)cheaper price. You can overload bigger mags like the 300 and 7rum with extremely heavy charges at times so watch data closely. You will often not even get to full velocity with standard cartridges like the 30-06

I peruse the Brits reloading forums, need to sign up and become a supporting member of them.

They are a great resource for substitute powders since they have been denied access to what we consider the standards.

I have decided that I will figure out what Vihtavuori powders I need for the calibers I will be reloading.

I peruse the Brits reloading forums, need to sign up and become a supporting member of them.

They are a great resource for substitute powders since they have been denied access to what we consider the standards.

I have decided that I will figure out what Vihtavuori powders I need for the calibers I will be reloading.
Well at least right now, Vihtavuori is hard to find here in the U.S. -----its made in Finland, all imported, and theres a war next door to Finland in Ukraine. I have seen almost no N560, N565, or N570 since November. There has been a wee trickle of N565, but very little.

On the other hand, N568 their new powder has been rather plentiful in February and March, and April. Its a pretty slow powder though, mostly for big magnums.

Some of their small rifle powders and single base powders have been more available.

Stuff like 160, 320, and then N530, N540, N555.

Good luck on your search but the only US made powders seem to be Accurate and Winchester now which was one the things I was trying to focus on for finding substitutes to Alliant, Hodgdons, IMR etc.

I had no problems finding the ones that I plan to try or use, N165, N550, N560, N565, N568 and N570. I just had to be ready to pounce once everything started trickling out to the end retailers.

I have data for the N165, N550 and N560, will have to work on the other 3. They may prove fruitless, but I have hope that something will work out. I just need to finish the rifles and get the reloading shed finished before it gets hot outside.

I had no problems finding the ones that I plan to try or use, N165, N550, N560, N565, N568 and N570. I just had to be ready to pounce once everything started trickling out to the end retailers.

I have data for the N165, N550 and N560, will have to work on the other 3. They may prove fruitless, but I have hope that something will work out. I just need to finish the rifles and get the reloading shed finished before it gets hot outside.
Where are you finding N560, N565, N570 these days or did you supply up early last year if I might ask?

Recent Posts