Bear country pistol

I do love these threads. Some of us that have these hand cannons like to justify why we have them. To be honest, they are more fun to watch other people shoot. However, for some reason my first round hit with big revolvers is statically more accurate than with my auto loaders.
My .44 is **** accurate too. However, I basically get one shot because the double action is awful. I'm great when I shoot it single action, but the bear isn't going to wait for me to cock the hammer again.

I worked with a friend (Roger Hunziker) some years ago who built custom large bore revolvers based on Ruger Vaqueros. He asked me to proof fire one in 475 Linebaugh which (being an avid 44 mag shooter) I was happy to do. Five rounds of it bruised my hand for over a month and I wore a Pachmayr padded shooting glove but in the face of a large Grizzly I don't think I would notice or care. Follow up shots would be slow just recovering from recoil. I would be ok carrying my S&W model 29 with a Lehigh 265 flat face solid at max load but a S&W 10mm auto would likely be better with Underwood or Buffalo Bore ammo and a lot of practice.

In no way am I alluding to any similarity to anyone on this thread, truly ( because I hope and believe everyone here has more sense ), but IMHO everybody venturing into big bear country should watch the story of Timothy Treadwell ( AKA Grizzly Man ). All I could do was just sit there and shake my head.

Last year my wife and I visited family in Idaho for some sight seeing and hiking. I have an original Colt Anaconda .44 mag, it's accurate and butter smooth. For this trip I bought a Glock G40 10mm, dies, powder, 200gr hardcast bullets from Montana Bullets and a chest holster.

I practiced every chance I got the months before we left. Once I figured out the proper grip the Glock is accurate and follow up shots on target come quickly. For me with the bore centerline on the Glock being closer to my hands it helps make the recoil more manageable, it has less leverage when it recoils.

Our trip went well, we didn't see any bears and hiked some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. If I was a young man, I'd live there.

My choice is Bear spray, bear spray , bear spray
And then back it up with a 10mm in chest rig
The 10mm offers enough penetration and more speed compared to any revolver
Pistol skills are a very fast eroding skill if not kept up.
Train with a partner and timer to track progress , timer also adds some anxiety to mix . When you realize a bear is charging you , you will feel anxiety and the adrenaline pumping will limit your fine motor control . The timer helps simulate the same effects. Getting your body used to performing during that rush will help alot.
Your buddy is the competitor and you both will try harder to beat each others time and hit factor.

Bottom line, Carry what you can hit well with (train) , and what ever gives you a piece of mind

Carry what you can shoot well. One shot likely won't get the job done. What can you shoot 3 shots from low ready in 2.0s into a pie plate?

No use carrying a 475 Linebaugh if it is a 1 in 5s gun in your hands. Same with a 329.

I'd rather have my 629 with 240gr SWC/1100fps loads than a big slow gun.

Even if you drop to 9mm, it is better than 1 shot of 45.

I wish i had saved the feed and maybe if i looked i could find it but it shows a guy who's made a card board target the size of a bear and fastened it to a wagon that a 4 wheeler pulled and he shot it at the speed of a charging bear, once with a 44 mag revolver and another time with a 10 mm. He was only able to get 3 shots off with the revolver and 5 off with the 10mm auto. This doesn't account for the heat of the moment, but I'm all in with the fact if I can get more shot's fired the better my chances of surviving.

My choice is Bear spray, bear spray , bear spray
And then back it up with a 10mm in chest rig
The 10mm offers enough penetration and more speed compared to any revolver
Pistol skills are a very fast eroding skill if not kept up.
Train with a partner and timer to track progress , timer also adds some anxiety to mix . When you realize a bear is charging you , you will feel anxiety and the adrenaline pumping will limit your fine motor control . The timer helps simulate the same effects. Getting your body used to performing during that rush will help alot.
Your buddy is the competitor and you both will try harder to beat each others time and hit factor.

Bottom line, Carry what you can hit well with (train) , and what ever gives you a piece of mind
Several years ago we had a live fire event at our range similar to your recommendation Dug.
A 4 wheeler with a super long rope pulling a 55 gallon barrel (drawn outline of kill zone) and loud speakers with sirens and gunshots going off to distract the shooter.The barrel came through very fast,like a bear and you had 3-4 seconds to shoot the barrel.
You would be surprised at how many experienced hunters/shooters never got a shot off and some that completely missed kill zones.
The folks that put that exercise on has not done it again but I wish someone does it again so I can get redemption on that barrel!
Caution:You are not as ready as you think you are!

I wish i had saved the feed and maybe if i looked i could find it but it shows a guy who's made a card board target the size of a bear and fastened it to a wagon that a 4 wheeler pulled and he shot it at the speed of a charging bear, once with a 44 mag revolver and another time with a 10 mm. He was only able to get 3 shots off with the revolver and 5 off with the 10mm auto. This doesn't account for the heat of the moment, but I'm all in with the fact if I can get more shot's fired the better my chances of surviving.
I too saw the video but don't think the speed was anywhere near the speed of a charging bear. Still better than practicing on static targets I suppose.

Just my opinion. It is shot placement that trumps all. With that said you need the penetration and energy to get the job done. From experience a 44 mag is sufficient for whitetails but expect to track them. Now try to get a stopping shot on a charging griz in the field. I don't care what you use it's going to be luck of the draw if you have the time and composure to save yourself. As we have seen a 22lr can drop a hog in its tracks with proper placement. Use what you shoot well. My vote is for the high capacity 10mm with hardcast hole makers.

When I first came to AK, I bought a s&W 629 .44 mag with 6" barrel. I didn't know how long the AF would let me stay. I got a High School Sr. Deferment and retired here. I bought the 6" . 44 mag to deer hunt with after we left. Since we stayed here, I have a Glock Model 20 and a Springfield XDM 10mm now. I prefer the XDM over the Glock, but carry the Glock when we go fishing as I have a red dot on the XDM. No matter what you have practice is key. I have since joined a monthly pistol competition at my range, and just let me say, I'm not as good as I thought I was with a pistol.