Bat Vesper action

Buck 300

Is anyone here running a Bat Vesper action? If so how do you like it. I'm looking at the Vesper and the Defiance Ruckus. With the new Defiance pricing it makes these around the same price when nitrided. Also looks like unknown munitions has a nice hunter style DBM to go with the Vesper action.

I have two medium length vesper, and two long action vesper. Also running unknown dbm on 3 rifles... both are excellent quality.

With the price increase at defiance it made my decision easy. The vespar is featherlight, handles pressure VERY well, and is incredibly smooth. Just make sure to get barrels with a 1.250 shank due to the oversized vesper threads.

Last edited:
I've built several rifles on the vesper actions. They are excellent for the 338 Lapua/Norma size of case. Like stated above you need a 1.25 barrel shank at a min.

The deep bolt flutes on the vesper doesn't make it as "smooth" as the other bats in my experience. But it's still plenty smooth for what it is, but it is noticeable if ran next to a bat with standard fluting.

For a magnum size case, the defiance is very nice also. Defiance are some of the straightest actions I've had in the shop and they do a very good job with ignition. They are definitely benchrest quality. I have no reservations using either.

So the choice would come down to your requirements….

If you need a lapua bolt face, or the cfe9 mag box I'd choose the vesper.

If going magnum bolt face and cip length mags, I'd go with a defiance, and save $200

I have two medium length vesper, and two long action vesper. Also running unknown dbm on 3 rifles... both are excellent quality.

With the price increase at defiance it made my decision easy. The vespar is featherlight, handles pressure VERY well, and is incredibly smooth. Just make sure to get barrels with a 1.250 shank due to the oversized vesper threads.
My thoughts exactly. The VESPER and bottom metal combination work excellent together.

Is anyone here running a Bat Vesper action? If so how do you like it. I'm looking at the Vesper and the Defiance Ruckus. With the new Defiance pricing it makes these around the same price when nitrided. Also looks like unknown munitions has a nice hunter style DBM to go with the Vesper action.
Bat any day of the week

I've built several rifles on the vesper actions. They are excellent for the 338 Lapua/Norma size of case. Like stated above you need a 1.25 barrel shank at a min.

The deep bolt flutes on the vesper doesn't make it as "smooth" as the other bats in my experience. But it's still plenty smooth for what it is, but it is noticeable if ran next to a bat with standard fluting.

For a magnum size case, the defiance is very nice also. Defiance are some of the straightest actions I've had in the shop and they do a very good job with ignition. They are definitely benchrest quality. I have no reservations using either.

So the choice would come down to your requirements….

If you need a lapua bolt face, or the cfe9 mag box I'd choose the vesper.

If going magnum bolt face and cip length mags, I'd go with a defiance, and save $200
I always appreciate people's real-world experiences and unbiased opinions. My GS said the same about Defiance. My .338 Thor (.338 NMI) is built on Anti-X.

And I'm speaking from real world experience, here's my Vesper in action.
20230928_102949.jpg20231106_164256.jpg

Recent Posts