BAT Actions

Got my hrpic Bat for 338 LMai for 4" box from Brunos. If not really needed for hunting would skip the magazine - that lower lug stop doesnt have much meat left with 4" box. Sure its fine.

I have two vampires on order for a 280ai and 300 win mag builds. Both going to be very light rifles on manners ultra classic plus stocks. The guys at bat were great to deal with and I'm super excited to get em in hand. I currently run all defiance and impact so it'll be nice to have them all side by side for comparison!

I have two Defiance actions and one BAT. I prefer my BAT. All are very accurate. I have not had my BAT in dusty field conditions yet so I cannot vouch for binding issues or not. The defiance are bomb proof. The BAT is smoother in my opinion.

Defiance runs a tighter bolt than Bat on the repeater actions. I actually would like a tighter bolt. Its a misconception that tight bolts bind, they actually run smoother. The bind comes from a loose bolt that can cock at the rear of the stroke. If you pack any of them in mud that can jam any of them up, but this is not PRS on a timed course. Your gonna take one or two shots at the most hunting. Its dusty in sw Mt. I have never had any action bind up because of it. Below is my 300 NMI I built on a Bat HR after a day riding around looking for antelope.
dust.jpg

Hey Alex, I don't want to derail this thread but its a question about a Bat action so I think it fits in here. How has your experience with the Bat Vampire and BumbleBee actions gone? I know you were really excited about them but I hadn't really heard any field/use update on them, did you find them to be just as good as other Bats, did any issues come up and are you still as enthused about them as you were before?

Thanks,
Dave

I am tuning one right now in 7 saum. So far its just like the steel actions, but smoother. Doesnt have any issues so far.
Thanks for the response Alex, that's what I wanted to hear. Are the feed rails the same on a magnum action as they are on a standard bolt face on those actions?

You need different feed rails for a standard vs a magnum. In my case I am running a Wyatts cfe center feed box so the feed rails are not used. I never use feed rails in magnum actions. The vampire magnums actions come with a cfe 9 (4") mag cut.

Just finished building a 6.5 S Max on a vampire action. Love the action so far. I think i have a wyats extended box. And its hawkins m5 bdl. Feeds 1 round good. Not more than 1. Any tips besides going to dbm?

Pic is 1st 5 rounds through the rifle with a cleaning in between shots 2,3
20210919_144750.jpg