Basics of Bedding, and other stuff...

Sorry I haven't gotten back in here sooner, got sidetracked.
Anyway, I haven't tried heating the action. Ain't got time, basically. With our bedding puller it pops out pretty easy anyway.
I use Brownell's release. Don't like the wax, to easy to miss a spot and I have seen way too many actions stuck with it.

This is just great.
grin.gif

Would an extra steel rod embedded in the front stock calm down vibrations? I may try that next if my bipod groups won´t settle down.

So while we are still talking about this I would like you guys to comment on using Imperial Sizing wax as a release agent. I to had to pull very hard to get my barrelled action out of the stock when I used the Johnson's paste wax. By the way the smith told me to use the big soldering iron if the action gets stuck, just lay it on the action and let it heat up for while. The expoy will come loose from the expansion of the metal.

Anyway, the two bedding jobs I've done since then with Imperial sizing wax popped right out. We all know how slippery that stuff is.

So does anyone see an issue with using Imperial Sizing wax as a release agent?

Doug

Richard,
Yes bed the lug. Will probably help and sure won't hurt.
DWM,
I would think Imperial would be a little costly to use for a release agent. The $13 can from Brownells will do at least 20 rifles maybe more. A really cheap alternitive is Pam or any other non-stick cooking spray.

Chris

You must really lay a serious coat on them things, I'd a figured 50 rifles with a large can of ISDW.
grin.gif

I skim bedded the two rifles I did here the other day to tighten them up a bit, should have releived them a 1/16th or so but they aren't staying in these stocks for long.

M7 synthetic drilled up really well to lock the JB Weld in place.

121127.JPG

M7 stock after I pulled it out.
123191.JPG

M70 stock, skim bedded in Marine-Tex.
123193.JPG

M70 after pulling it from stock.
123195.JPG

Brent, I never kept track of how many I could get out of a can. I use it till it's empty and then grab another one.... 20 was a wild *** guess! But when you bed over 300 rifles last year it gets a little hard to keep track off!
By the way, nice bed jobs!

Mine was a wild *** guess too!
grin.gif

300 rifles, ****!
shocked.gif

Ian, looks like we's got a long way to go!

Thanks Chris, but I'm thinkin it's a tad sloppy, still functional and tight none the less. You'd laugh at the time it takes me to do one. But I guess doing that many a year does help... a bunch.
cool.gif

For a quick easy to use release agent try welders anti-spatter. It's used to spray down the nozzle of MIG welders to prevent welding spatter from sticking to the copper tip. It comes in a spray can, goes on like water, but dries to a very thin, almost wax like finish. Coats evenly, and laughs at JB weld(JB deosn't even stick a little bit).

Re: antispatter for a release agent

welders anti-spatter is some seriously nasty stuff if you are breating it in. I would recommend you not use it unless you have a vent pulling the air away from you and blowing it outside. if you don't think the anti-spatter is hard on your lungs, use it to kill a few ants. if you can find the ants the next day let me know. I bet even roaches couldn't live through a dousing of anti-spatter.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.