Good books on basics of Gunsmithing/machining?

AJ Peacock

All,

Although I've played around with Lathe's, Bridgeports etc. I'm about as far from being a machinist as you can get. I've never had the opportunity to watch a gunsmith do his thing (chambering barrels, threading barrels etc.). You know, all the 'heavy lifting' type gunsmithing. I know that the majority of gunsmiths spend their time 'fitting scopes', fixing triggers etc.

Just curious if you know of any books that might fill in some gaps about the intricacies of gunsmith machining?

If not, I'll just end up with some basic machining text's over the winter.

Thanks,
AJ

AJ
If you want to watch a barrel get set up and chambered this is a very good video.
H8396 DVD - Chambering A Championship Match Barrel
The video shows how Gordy Gritters chambers barrels.
If you don't know who Gordy is, he is a gunsmith from Pella, Iowa and has built many championship 1000yd BR rifles.
Price is $59.95, if you want to start chambering your own rifles it is money well spent.
James

Brownell's has most of the books you would need to get the feel of smithing you can also find a large number on the discount used book sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.