Basemap vs Onx

scott63

Living in Northern California my entire life, the
I’ve used onx maps a few years ago and was set to pay for a yearly subscription, but then my son was showing me Basemap. It SEEMS like it does the same stuff at a third the price, does anyone have experience with Basemap or both? Is it as good as onx maps?

Dosh

63, have had both. This is a case of "get what you pay for ".

scott63

I have to disagree. I've been using BaseMap for several months now and I'm very happy with it. I and my son both used it on a backpacking trip and I've used it on many outdoor excursions( fishing, hiking, scouting) and I don't know why anyone would pay three times more for the same thing. I've had zero problems and it seems to do all the things OnX does but at a third the price. If anyone is considering Basemap, I would encourage you to use it!

Bassin_Rob

I’ve had good experiences with OnX in the past, but recently have heard a lot of positive things about Basemap. Looking at making the switch my self. I’ve heard basemap has less layers. Anyone know for sure if that’s true?

scott63

There are 420 layers from what I remember I don't use many cause I don't want clutter. For example there are a lot of layers related to fishing, I don't need those so I never use them. There are hunt research layers/info that's an extra 10 bucks a year, but I can get the same info on the DFG website so I don't subscribe to those. I use the Basemap Pro because you get unlimited offline maps and it has everything I could want, plus things I personally won't use.

I think it is pretty easy and straightforward to use, but they do have a few tutorials on Youtube. The main thing is to just use it, in your yard, at the store, on a walk that way you practice making markers, recording tracks etc. When I first got it I had some questions and they returned email inquiries quickly, within a couple hours.

308stillbrass

SCAMMER
I bought the pro version of basemap i messed around with it tonight on the computer and a little on my phone some really nice features and once i mess around with it a little more and figure out how to use it better its definitely gonna worth $30 a year i cant see how the onx app is worth 150 more a year.

scott63

I bought the pro version of basemap i messed around with it tonight on the computer and a little on my phone some really nice features and once i mess around with it a little more and figure out how to use it better its definitely gonna worth $30 a year i cant see how the onx app is worth 150 more a year.
Watch the tutorials on youtube, some are ok, some are pretty good, but they all help shorten the learning curve.

Big Jim 375

LRH Team Member
I have both. Prefer Basemap. More of a personal preference I guess. I use a garmin montana and in reach on the field and only use baseman for pre-hunt planning so I cannot speak to its in the field performance.

dfanonymous

I’ve used both. Been able to plug my Garmin with a onx chip into my computer and use basemap to add waypoints or geocache.

But what I really like for preseason scouting is caltopo. Once I get a general idea of the unit or zone, I breeze through caltopos layers, different maps and even get an idea of how steep certain areas are going to be when route planning.

Plinker147

Get a OnX on your phone only $30 a year. Guess it’s different price in different states? OnX Has been the best I have used

Does base layer show private land ownership?

jarheadhunter

Get a OnX on your phone only $30 a year. Guess it’s different price in different states? OnX Has been the best I have used

Does base layer show private land ownership?
$30 a year is for one state. Basemap gives you the whole US for $30 a year. Yes it does private land ownership and all the other info that ONx does.

I just used both on my elk hunt. I always found myself going back to ONx and I think that a lot of that was just because I have been using it for three years and it feels more comfortable. Overall I think they are almost identical in features. Maps on the Basemap you can load as big as you want in high detail instead of 1 mile on ONx.