Bartlein Press Release - New Barrel Material

Being somewhat of a skeptic, and having tried many different barrels of different alloys and treatments, I find these claims to be questionable Not knowing what the alloy content is so I will just wait to see how they work out.

Many of the alloys even though they are tougher/harder, are often harder to machine and there fore precision chambering and rifling is more difficult to get really good machine quality. Some of the stainless alloys are very tough and give good service when used on some parts.

Twice the barrel life is a claim that will have to be proven over time, not by advertising or claims in my opinion. It would be great if it machined well and doubled the life no matter who the barrel maker was.

Just being skeptical of to good to be true claims.

J E CUSTOM

What article?

In the OP, they said they retired pressure test barrels at twice the round count. That sounds good but if I was pressure testing thousands of rounds, throat erosion would be the wear factor, not accuracy and I would probably cut back and re-chamber whenever the throat moved more than maybe 0.010".

If they said throat erosion was half that of 416 stainless I would be pretty interested. I just don't know what they are talking about yet.

Once they start explaining it better and show some real world results with info like rate of fire and cleaning routine, I'll pay attention.

JE, just curious, did you bypass all the information in the article?

I read everything in the article and anything else I could find and did not rule them out in any way, just cautious when it comes to spending money on a custom rifle and trying something new in the heart of a accurate/custom rifle. having a better than average knowledge of metallurgy and plenty of experience with machining different alloys. I could better asses the material if I knew the components in the barrel material, But being proprietary that will never happen. So I will take a wait and see attitude and let others find out if the claims are true or not.

There has always been a trade off between machine ability and durability and In my opinion 416 R is the best to date. Some Other alloys have more tensile strength and still other alloys have better notch toughness, so a compromise has been made with all the alloys to come up with an alloy that fills all of these needs and with an alloy that is easy to machine. Tool wear is always an issue because it can dimensionaly change the tool rendering it worthless to some. (Poor chambers and rifling are normally caused by dull or worn tools).

All I am saying is that I am happy that someone is trying to improve barrel steel, just that I am willing to wait to find out if it is true or just a sales pitch. I have many questions and one of them is why it is harder on tools for instance. There are many factors that can cause this and not knowing why troubles me enough to wait an see what others find without destroying my reamers/tooling machining a few barrels.

I have had to replace some of these wonder material barrels because they just didn't work like they should, and even knowing there toughness and alloy, accuracy was unacceptable for our sport. they would have been great in severe duty rifles and accuracy would have been good enough for the service/use.

I'm Still in the "don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see" mode and have no problem waiting awhile. :cool: :cool:

J E CUSTOM

Didn't we recently have a similar discussion about Walther barrels that extended to other harder steels?

I personally find this very interesting. It is tough losing a great barrel prematurely. I will let the rest you be pioneers though.
Agreed. I like the Bartlein barrel on my 25-06, but was thinking that in a year I would like to hear reports from those that jump on the new barrel. I like to let others spend their money first.

Sounds similar to what the Blackstar Accumax II barrels promised. They were made of a 900 Series Stainless, and tough as they came. To machine one, you had to use more cutting fluid than normal and a slower feed rate on the lathe.

My HV .262 6mm PPC Accumax II barrel is still a VIRGIN (been trying to sell my BR setup to go more into Handgun Hunting). They were the cat's meow in the Benchrest community-----with their Gain Twist, Choked, 1-13.75" twist barrel-----until the demand turned them financially upside down and they went bankrupt.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.