Bartlein barrel tight bore .299/308, 30 cal

they may not be slower. i purchased 2 broughten barrels, 10 twist for a pair of 30-06 rifles. reading the specs saw that they were tight and i thought palma barrels and was afraid they might be slow but after shooting i saw they were not slow at all. i mentioned it to Greg Tannel as he had built the rifles and he said you just don,t know until you try them. extremely happy with the broughten barrels.

I have a .298 bore on my 30-338win. My max loads were close to starting loads in the manuals. It shot very fast. After running the Tubbs final finish though it the same loads lost 200fps. Added more powder and the speed was back and maybe a bit more.

Cliff

I have used Bartlein, Krieger, Rock, Obermeyer tubes in .299 and .298 1-10 5R tubes 20" with factory BH and Hornady loads and MV with 20-30fps of 22-24" tubes with slightly larger groove dimensions.

To be frank, unless you shoot high volume and/or aftee gilt-edge accuracy I dont see the advantage...YMMV

I went with the tight bartlien barrel on my tube gun. It has proven as fast as any 308 barrel I have tried, I'm running 175gr SMK at 2600+ . It has also proven to be very accurate.

Nice looking guns.

Here's my old shooter: Rem 40X in 308 with a Hart rebarrel and chamber in '82 or 83. Still shoots great.
Has a Millet LRS scope on it, took some ribbing at first, now they don't say anything!
I also have the Redfield International iron sights for it.

40x-1-web_zpsbho3y0eo.jpg

40x-2-web_zpsdblksm8b.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.