Barrell selection

milkie62

I had a post awhile back about my 700 Remington in 7 mm mag. I have not gotten around to using some quality factory ammo to see how it shoots yet. But when and if it comes to a barrel change out, how do you go about picking a manufacturer ? So many out there.

I wouldn't be afraid to use any of the top cut rifled barrel makers out there. In no particular order, Bartlein, Krieger, brux, Rock Creek. I have been looking at trying a Muller works on one of my upcoming builds.

I think it depends on who you're experienced with. I did my initial research and, based on that work, selected Bartlein for my barrels. Every barrel I've received is top qualilty and, while I have to give due credit to my gunsmith for the high quality chambering work he's done, shoot under .5 MOA.
I'm sure Kreigher, Lilja, McGowen and others make very fine rifle barrls. But when I find something that works as well as Bartlein has worked for me I stick with it.
My recommendation for the first time builder is to do your research, read comments about the experiences of other shooters, and make your selection. If you're not happy you're only one rifle barrel away from perhaps finding the maker who satisfies your individual requirements.

Since I build Savages with prefits only, I go about it a little different. I find a barrel I want IN STOCK or in the classifieds here or elsewhere and I buy it. IDC who makes it really.
I have gotten sub .5MOA barrels from nearly every maker out there and even on a lowly Savage have NEVER gotten a barrel that won't go under .5MOA. I know guys have their favorite barrel maker BUT my favorite one is whoever can get it to me QUICK.
I have used Broughton, Douglas, Hart, Kreiger, Criterion, Wilson, Brux, Mcgowen, Shilen, Benchmark, Pac-nor and others both as prefits or had a smith chamber them. Even used a few ER Shaw for turtle guns and been happy.
Honestly I think most makers try to do a good job and every barrel I have gotten has been MUCH BETTER than any stock barrel. Bad barrels do make it out the door........maybe I have been lucky or am easy to please.

I choose Pac-Nor, but that was the only barrel I've ever had done.

I live in Oregon, and Pac-Nor is an Oregon company. I researched them, and didn't find they were big in the competition circuits, but people seemed to like them.

I also liked that they would do the installation as well. I sent them my barreled action, and they sent it back to me in about 6 weeks with a new barrel. Turned out pretty sweet! :cool:

I had one PacNor pre fit for a Savage and it was as ***. Sent it back, they said it as OK. Never again. Excepting pre fits, a barrel is only as good as the gunsmith who chambers and crowns it. All the above names are good barrel makers.

My last few have been Bartlein's. I've been very happy with them and they're my go to barrel now. They're usually fairly easy to find through bugholes.com or butch's reloading so that helps.

I like to support my local Made in Montana products and have a few to choose from; I've been very please with all my Lilja barrels and the customer service I received.

Like others said, there are plenty of excellent choices to choose from. most often than not, the gunsmith who is going to do the barreling has a preference as well ... work closely with a reputable/competent gunsmith who is going to do the work and you're golden.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.