Barrel Threading

ViperD

Hey everyone,

Having a barrel threaded and looking for advice.

I have a Tikka T3 in 30-06 that I'm looking to thread. The overall goal is to be able to run an Area 419 Hellfire and TBAC 7. The TBAC will hopefully be used across a few different rifles.

In talking with the gunsmith, he said he'd be able to thread 1/2-28 due to the diameter of the Tikka barrel. From what I've read, you shouldn't run a 30 cal suppressor directly on 1/2-28 threads. The gunsmith said he could install a precision adapter to make it 5/8-24.

Should I have the adapter installed and buy the brake and suppressor in 5/8-24?

Or should I just buy both in 1/2-28? This could limit my ability to run the TBAC across multiple hunting rifles.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Any preference on a particular adapter to use?
Have the Smith fit a good one tight you will have a much better outcome. If you just bang out say a class 2 or 3a 1/2-28 then you screw a generic one on the slop is stupid usually. He can thread your 1/2-28 for a tight fit then install with locktite and then clean up the shoulders relative to the dial in on the bore, this will mitigate tolerance stack. It won't add much to the bill and it will be done correctly!!

TBAC brake mounts in 1/2-28 are 223 bore. They do not recommend 1/2" threads for .30 rifles.
I have a few small dia muzzles with bushings installed which work perfectly, making a small dia bigger and allowing for a proper shoulder.
9BA60C18-2842-4BE3-BFE4-519E9256AD84.jpeg

The other way is using the barrel as threads like normal and adding a shoulder bushing. Looks similar, works same.

Attachments

• A20F6DDE-5ED1-468C-BA41-23EAED069EFA.jpeg
    A20F6DDE-5ED1-468C-BA41-23EAED069EFA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
I've always said no to 1/2" threads on a 308 bore. 9/16" threads can be an option and then an adapter (I hate adapters too because you start stacking tolerances and bake strike risk increases) to 5/8-24.

Good luck!

I've used these

Adaptor
I use the same adapters from Precision Armament and work well. Have some from 1/2"-28 to 5/8"-24 and 9/16"-24 to 5/8"-24

The US gun industry really needs a shake up in term of the thread options it offers to its consumers.
Most European suppressor manufacturers are able to offer their products in the following threads:
1/2-20,1/2-28,13x1,14x1, 9/16-24,15x1, 5/8-24 ,16x1, 17x1, 18x1 , 18x1.5 ,3/8-24...etc
A cnc machine can cut any thread you want, metric or imperial at the change of a threading insert on the tool holder.

Most manual lathe can cut both metric or imperial.
But just for the sake of keeping things simple, an intermediate thread size like 9/16-24 makes complete sense.

The archery industry has managed to organise and standardise its range of threads , the gun industry should be able to do the same.

Oh, it has come a long way. Back around 2000 or so the factory options were all over the place.
Also consider the current suppressor market is pretty new, not older than the original AAC. As it matures, both buyers and manufacturers will have a better handle on things. And we flounder in the mean time.
Lastly, good luck getting people to accept the "european" metric system. Just dont tell ma that her TBSP and tsp are metric!