Barrel Replacement - Remage question

View attachment 487583
View attachment 487584
I put together this "budget" build last year. It's a 6BR built off a bone stock stainless 700 action, magpul stock with bottom metal, trigger tech primary trigger, 26" pre-chambered barrel from urban rifleman and a northland barrel nut and recoil lug. Get ya some good headspace gauges, a barrel vice, and an action wrench then have some fun. Plenty of informative videos on setting headspace.
Sweet!!

Hello folks, I'm thinking of replacing a barrel on an 700 action I have. I want to play around with a Remage from a hobbyist perspective. A friend of mine suggested that I was wasting my time just replacing a barrel. He feels that as a first step I should have the action trued, which would mean I would need a custom barrel (as I understand) for oversized threads. I understand that a custom or trued action will give me the best results.
As others noted, most of us have gone through what we are about to explore. I did mine using Savage actions. All these budget builds shoot .5-.75 MOA at >500 yards with the right load and if I do my part. If you are like me, I do not sell my rifles/actions; I re-purpose them, i.e., I purchased an old used Savage LA in .270 Win for the action for $200. I hunted with it for 3 years before I decided to re-barrel it to a .270 AI with a 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G to propel the 165/174 Matrix VLDs. If you decide to have the action blueprinted (~$300 and up) and do not sell, you get to enjoy it. The beauty of having a barrel nut is you can remove it yourself (DIY tools required) after you install your pre-fit barrel 'if" your action requires blueprinting. There are plenty of choices for prefit barrels. Only you can decide if the blueprinting cost is worth your hard-earned money.

1692964598334.png

I can't shoot better than about 1/3 MOA anyway and I only take hunting shots to 500 yards or so. I have lots of factory guns that shoot to my capability. I really want to replace the barrel to get my caliber, twist, and barrel weight choice. In my head it is a cost benefit question. What are your thoughts?
For me, the satisfaction of a DIY project is priceless. A word of caution; this will not be your last, and it might break your self-imposed 500-yard range limitation. Good luck, and enjoy your new hobby; take your time and enjoy the learning process.

Northland Shooter's Supply = WIN. I have a few very nice barrels of theirs. One doesn't even copper foul! Like, not at all! The others very little. Laser beams all of them. It wouldn't hurt to get NSS trued barrel nut (and recoil lug if needed).

Viper vise = WIN. Place a $5 Hobby Lobby suede patch around the barrel and it won't spin. @bamban - split his Viper vise to account for common barrel contour slopes. "They aren't all straight pipes!"
123_1.jpeg

I've done 6-7 barrel nut barreled rigs so far. Savage large & small shank. Easy to set headspace.

Been considering this with a Howa action, Mossberg 1550. It's a 30-06 now and shoots well to be honest. Maybe a 6mm of some flavor. I recall seeing somewhere that someone was offering Howage barrels and nuts.

I see no reason not to do whatever you want to do.

Been considering this with a Howa action, Mossberg 1550. It's a 30-06 now and shoots well to be honest. Maybe a 6mm of some flavor. I recall seeing somewhere that someone was offering Howage barrels and nuts.

I see no reason not to do whatever you want to do.

PVA offering Howa barrel nut barrels too

Single-pointing the receiver threads oversize to "true" them is probably the worst return on investment one can make on an M700 receiver (and this is coming from a smith). Extremely rare for them to be non-concentric enough to cause a problem that would manifest at the target- and for a hunting rifle, a total waste of your $$$.

For shouldered barrels that I fit to customers' rifles, I true the receiver ring and bolt lugs to get them concentric to the bolt raceway and leave it at that.

Given that you're rebarelling a rifle you own- if it didn't manifest any accuracy issues with the original barrel, no reason to fix it if it ain't broke.

Screw on the barrel and shoot it.
THIS ^^^^^

Hello folks, I'm thinking of replacing a barrel on an 700 action I have. I want to play around with a Remage from a hobbyist perspective. A friend of mine suggested that I was wasting my time just replacing a barrel. He feels that as a first step I should have the action trued, which would mean I would need a custom barrel (as I understand) for oversized threads. I understand that a custom or trued action will give me the best results. I feel strongly that the barrel is the most important part of the package and think that a plain Remage barrel by a maker like Shilen will probably really shoot no matter what. I can't shoot better than about 1/3 MOA anyway and I only take hunting shots to 500 yards or so. I have lots of factory guns that shoot to my capability. I really want to replace the barrel to get my caliber, twist, and barrel weight choice. In my head it is a cost benefit question. What are your thoughts?

Just this past year I sent my 700 SA off to Shillen Barrels to have their Alternut, Extra Heavy A9 contour barrel in .22-250 installed.
Total cost was $547 including free shipping. I'm no gunsmith, just a hobbiest with a lathe and a milling machine and no confidence.
I can't verify the accuracy because I haven't shot it yet, but their service was excellent.

Last edited: