Barrel Meloniting/Nitriding Questions

winmagman

I'm hoping those of you that are having or have had this done can point me in the right direction.

I just received a new build and I'd like to have the barrel treated, preferably by MMI or H&M. Unfortunately I can't find any contact info or price structure at either website.

So if any one can point me to a website, link, phone #, or any other option to get this done I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I'm hoping those of you that are having or have had this done can point me in the right direction.

I just received a new build and I'd like to have the barrel treated, preferably by MMI or H&M. Unfortunately I can't find any contact info or price structure at either website.

So if any one can point me to a website, link, phone #, or any other option to get this done I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Rock Creek barrels in WY

www.rockcreekbarrels.com

cost is around 80$

McGowen barrels also offers melonite on all barrels. Idk if they do 3rd party barrelsgun)

Rock creek barrels in WY. They do them for about 80$

Also mcgowen barrels offers it on all their barrels. Idk if 3rd party though.

I sure would not let the manufacture of a barrel melonite any barrel for me. If they offered this then I would question their integrity and knowledge. You ARE not supposed to melonite/nitride until 20 light loaded rounds are fired through the barrel with cleaning done in between rounds. This sets the lands on the barrel! Melonite before and you lose this important process.

I sure would not let the manufacture of a barrel melonite any barrel for me. If they offered this then I would question their integrity and knowledge. You ARE not supposed to melonite/nitride until 20 light loaded rounds are fired through the barrel with cleaning done in between rounds. This sets the lands on the barrel! Melonite before and you lose this important process.

Not true
Rock Creek stresses unfired barrels. If you send in a fired barrel it will likely result in a 70+ dollar cleaning bill and void the warranty on the work.
The reason is that copper reacts differently than steel in the salt bath processes. If even the tiniest amount is left behind it will result in rust pitting.
A quality hand lead lapped barrel is what is needed before nitriding.
Nothing more.

Once the barrel is melonited doesn't mean it's impervious to the environment endured during firing.

A friend of mine had a shilen in .243 done. He measured throat wear periodically. After 300 rounds the throat had moved .001" most would consider this "broken in" and at 1000 it had moved .005.
From the time he got it done it shot smaller than dime sized 5 shots with his developed load. No break in used. Just a quality lapped barrel.

There are barrels that should not be melonited. For example 416 stainless does not react well as Smith and Wesson found out on their pistol slides as it actually caused rust pitting. Yet 416r works well with a single quench. Chrome vanadium barrels work great for the qpq processes

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.