Barrel HELP for 338 Allen Mag Project

wildcat

Hey everyone, as mentioned before I am currently working with Kirby to possibly build a 338 Allen Mag. I have decided on some of the equipmet for this project, however, I am having difficulty deciding on what barrel to use. I am considering going with a Lawton Barrel. I think I am going to go with a Lawton action, so I thought I would go with one of there barrels too. I have also thought about Krieger, Lilja, and Broughton. I believe Lilja barrels have been working well in the bigger calibers such as 30 and 338 calibers.

I have used Kriegers and Harts on my other project, with excellent results. Basically, I am looking for some imput regarding Lawton Barrels. Has anyone used them and, if so, how did they work. I saw that a record was just broken with a Lawton Action and Barrel. Any input would be welcomed. This is a big project, and I want to get everything perfect. Input from this site is very important to me because of all the knowledgible people and excellent gunsmiths that visit it. Any suggestions, about the project, would be great too! Let me know what you guys think. Here are the specs for the possible project any input would be appreciated;

1. 338 Allen Mag

2. Action- Lawton 10"

3. Barrel-possible Lawton, 32", 1-10 twist, 1.40 tapered to 1.25.

4. McMillan A-5, Thunmbwheel Cheek piece, 3 way spacer System, 5 lbs weight added, 2 studs front, 1 stud rear, color Woodland Camo.

5. Jewell trigger

6. APS 4 port muzzle brake

7. Badger Base w/40 MOA and Badger 30mm Rings

8. Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS

9. Teflone coat all metal Matte Black

10. Rifle weight 25lbs

Thanks
Wildcat

Wildcat,
My Lawton bbl is 33" 1.400" breech, tapered to .950 muzzel, heavy fluted stainless. twist rate 11.25" It will stabilze up to the 300MK, 350grn no go. Lawton actions are 1.600" dia. My barrel shoots very good, 5-7" at 1000yds. I also use Mike Rock bbls for the same caliber, 9.5" and 10" twist rates. They all perform very well.

Dave

BD, thanks for the info. I am really wanting to get the best equipment for this rig. I am glad to hear you think Lawton barrels are good. I am hoping to get more input.

Thanks
Wildcat

Wish i could be more help but with work im low on burning up barrels lately. I have a few Lilja and mike rock barrels these are the ones i like the most. But with any of the good name barrels companys they shoot great it comes down to want ever you want. Have you thought about getting one of the light weight carbon barrels. I want to try one cause of the great things i heard about them just dont have a need yet.

Wildcat,
I might be a little biased, since I have a mike rock/abs barrell. But it does everything abs states. My brother has a 300 ultra christensen arms. you could cook breakfast on his barrell for 15 minutes after a quick 3 shots. My 338 snipe-tac is warm to the touch after 3 shots, cools within minutes. Also very accurate. I'm not the best shot, but it will shoot .25 clovers at 100 all day, amazing gun Dave.
Your guns are bad ***. Plus the barrells look cool. Wildcat, abs/rock the way to go, my two cents.

Get the Lawton and dont look back he makes one of the best barrels out there. The big Lawton action is a nice looking action. Good luck

Ok guys, I think I have made up my mind. Since I am going to go with the Lawton action, I am going to go ahead and go with the Lawton barrel. This should make it easier on Kirby too. Thanks for all the comments.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.