barrel for a savage short action 30 cal. acu-trigger.

robinstan

I am considering changing the barrel on my savage to a match grade for long range shooting. Is the action strong enough for this and has anyone already done this. Also any recomendation on manufacturer of the barrel would be helpful. I am presently shooting the 300 wsm. Thank you for the help.

check with the guys at er shaw barrels they hooked me up with a varmint contour for my 110 and it does .500 and less at 200 yds right now after some load development.

Those guys will put together anything you want they will even do the action work if you need them too and let you know what needs to be done if anything.

If you just order the barrel then they will send it to you in the white or stainless unless you have them do the bluing its an extra cost and I found that a good rattle can of wood stove paint holds up great and I have sent at least 100 to 150 rounds through mine since I put it on.

You can do the install yourself but keep in mind that you need to be really forceful with a hammer to break that barrel nut loose. drill out a piece of hard wood to fit the barrel put it in a vise, a strong vise and slide the lug wrench on and whack it good, its a bit scary the first time but do not fear they seat it well at the factory so this is necessary. I used a spent casing for head spacing but I have done this a couple of times so you might want to actually get the tool for setting head space and then you're done.

Good luck and good shooting!

I really like the looks of the shilen/savage barrel and I am going to build a savage accutrigger in 6.5-06 or 280 AI next year. They are ready to go for around $250. Here is a link with some options and pricing.

This page was last updated on

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.