Barrel contour and aluminum pillars FN Mauser Large Ring

merbeau

I have a FN Mauser Large Ring that was originally part of a JC Higgins Model 50 that had been re-barreled to 22-250 Ackley. The twist of this barrel is 1:14 which is little to slow for what I want to do, which is shoot 69 grain Scenar L type bullets primarily at 600 yard local matches.

I am looking at purchasing a Lothar Walther match barrel, conical contour in non stainless because I want it to be blued with 1:9 twist. Lothar offers finished barrels that are delivered with a finished match chamber little deeper than final headspace and thread for Mauser98 action. Final headspacing can be adjusted by turning at breech end by a gunsmith. This barrel looks like it is in between a standard and heavy varmint contour.

Question 1: I have read that contours greater than heavy varmint should not be attached to a Mauser action because it might bend the action - is this true?

Question 2: I have ordered a GRS stock for the receiver/barrel. They recommend that the action/barrel be pillar bedded. Erniesgunsmith offers aluminum Pillars, Model BH-1 for F.N. Commercial Mausers. Would these be suitable to use?

Thanks

Robert

merbeau,

Question 1: I have read that contours greater than heavy varmint should not be attached to a Mauser action because it might bend the action - is this true?

I don't even want to know where you read this.

The conical contour you mention is 0.866" at the muzzle and is perfectly suitable for use on your Mauser M98. See the answer to Q2 below.

Question 2: I have ordered a GRS stock for the receiver/barrel. They recommend that the action/barrel be pillar bedded. Erniesgunsmith offers aluminum Pillars, Model BH-1 for F.N. Commercial Mausers. Would these be suitable to use?

Yes these will work. Remember that you might want to bed the first inch of the barrel tenon in order to take some of the tension off of the action even after pillar bedding. I bed the whole action as well as using pillars then add the inch of bedding under the barrel tenon. You are trying to achieve 'stress-free bedding'.

Regards.

Sable Tireur

Many thanks for your advice. I plan on having the smith bed the whole action and will keep the barrel tenon in mind.

Thanks

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.