Barrel burn out

KRob

I've got a 223 savage 11f something. How many rounds would the barrel last for? How costly is it to put a new barrel on with the same or better quality? This is not a current problem just woundering.

Number of rounds is variable dependent on numerous factors. The velocity, time between shots, cleaning routine, etc. but it will be between 1500 and 2500 rounds in my opinion. Changing barrels is no big deal, you can do it yourself. Factory take offs can be had for around $100-125. Custom will run around $300. All ballpark figures.

Is there a way to approximate remaining barrel life - have a secondhand 7mm Rem Mag (Krico)? It's very accurate (1/2 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards. But I can see some throat erosion. What happens when the barrel wears out (will there be a gradual opening of the groups or will it suddenly spread all over the target.)

If you do not get it hot I would say 5000 rounds or more in a 223 you might even hit 10,000. I know a guy that had 12,000 rounds through his 222 Mag before he put a new barrel on. I would not worry about it unless your groups start to open up.

I don't personally, but I was told the other day that for $75 you can send it back to Savage and they will rebarrel it for you. I don't know if its a certain model or all or what.

If anyone has any other info on this I would like to know also.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.