Barnes TSX bullets

Never had trouble with accuracy but I have seen a couple of cases where both the older non-tipped x-bullet and the non-tipped TSX did not expand on game, and for no obvious reason. I am told the newer tipped versions are more reliable in that department. In the cases where the expansion did not take place I saw complete pass-through on both deer and elk at ranges in excess of 200 yards. Critters were recovered but there was little or no blood trail to follow, as the exit wound was not much bigger than bullet diameter. I have to admit that spooked me a bit...if you're trying to track a wounded animal in an area with lots of tracks (say a cow elk where a large herd has gone through) this can be a problem. Luckily it was not a major problem as the shots were well-placed and critters did not go for miles...

Anyway, I have heard much better reports from using the tipped versions. Only live experience I saw first hand with a TTSX was a bang-flop on a nice whitetail buck at just over 300, using the tipped 168 from a 30-06. The shooter did his part and there was no doubt about the result.

Just some info to consider.

I have Rldr 16, IMR 4064 and IMR 3031 available. Finding powder in my area is very difficult. Hornady eld-m 168 match factory ammo is getting 2640 fps avg according to my Magneto. If I could get the Barnes 168's up to 2600+ that would help I think. I am gonna pick up some 150 grain ttsx today and try them out too
Hey Raudy707 - I've had pretty acceptable accuracy (under 3/4 MOA for 4 shots at 200) using 44.0 of Varget behind several different 165/168's from my wife's 20" Mossberg 308 w/1:12 twist. Velocities run right around 2700 FPS using a Fed 210 Match primer and mil-spec brass, and around 2650 +/- from commercial 308 brass. Her rifle likes the Barnes and the Nosler Partition 165's best, keeping the accuracy out to 300 with no worries. Not exactly BR accuracy but from that rifle? Might be worth a try...same loads shoot nicely in both my 1:12 twist Vanguard with a 24" tube, and my Tikka with a slightly faster 1:11 twist.

I started using the blue coated TSX 180 grain bullets in my 300 Weatherby for an African plains game Hunt in 2003. It is a 1/14 twist German made Mark V that is Magna Ported. Great performance on game up to gemsbok, wildebeest and kudu. One shot game down. I used them back home on deer, elk and bears. Switched to the 150 grain TTSX (with the grooved sides) in 2010 and have had great performance on deer and sheep out to 550 yards. It knocks them off their feet if it hits heavy bone (spine) or they take a few steps if shot through the lungs / heart area. I use a mild load of H-4831-SC for 3250 fps. Not much recoil and flat shooting. I zero at 320 yards and can hold on top of the animals back For shots out to 400 yards. I use an elevation turret for shots out to 600 yards. My Practice range is 616 yards so haven't tried past that.

I started using the blue coated TSX 180 grain bullets in my 300 Weatherby for an African plains game Hunt in 2003. It is a 1/12 twist German made Mark V that is Magna Ported. Great performance on game up to gemsbok, wildebeest and kudu. One shot game down. I used them back home on deer, elk and bears. Switched to the 150 grain TTSX (with the grooved sides) in 2010 and have had great performance on deer and sheep out to 550 yards. It knocks them off their feet if it hits heavy bone (spine) or they take a few steps if shot through the lungs / heart area. I use a mild load of H-4831-SC for 3250 fps. Not much recoil and flat shooting. I zero at 320 yards and can hold on top of the animals back For shots out to 400 yards. I use an elevation turret for shots out to 600 yards. My Practice range is 616 yards so haven't tried past that.

For what it's worth as a late addition to this post, here's a long winded update on my experiences developing a deer load with the TTSX in 308 Win. I tested 150's with a ladder of Varget vs.130's in a ladder of Win 748 out of my 1:10 20" Remington 700 SPS Tactical. If supplies were easier to come by right now, I'd have tested both powders on both bullets, but this is what I've got to work with. I found that the entire ladder of 150's (.77 MOA) had a better average than the 130's (.89 MOA), but this also accounts for a 1.34" outlier on the 130's. What caught my eye was that the 150's best group only produced a .69", whereas the 130's had two under a 1/2", and a third very close at .58". Further, the 130's seemed to be much more accurate in regard to POI consistently matching POA. In the end, I opted for the 130's behind 53.4 gr of Win 748, because it grouped the best in my testing at .37" and is exceptionally accurate. I haven't chrono'd it, but I'm guessing (with some modesty) that it's probably got to be somewhere in the 3,100 fps range. Here's the best shooting I've done with it yet, a .32" I got out of it last weekend. Can't wait for the opportunity to turn it loose when the season opens in 5 weeks, hopefully this guy is still around to test it on.
20200627_113705.jpg
View attachment 201671
20200702_215513.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.