Barnes TSX bullets

Wow, kind of a strong response. He only said it was "kind of a marketing thing" and gave us the bullet which is 168 tsxbt, which isn't a solid, but is a hunting bullet in my limited knowledge. People used to be nicer.
Thanks Dan! Yeah some people weren't hugged enough by their mother's growing up. It's ok, I got thick skin and appreciated 99% of the responses and advice members submitted.

I have Rldr 16, IMR 4064 and IMR 3031 available. Finding powder in my area is very difficult. Hornady eld-m 168 match factory ammo is getting 2640 fps avg according to my Magneto. If I could get the Barnes 168's up to 2600+ that would help I think. I am gonna pick up some 150 grain ttsx today and try them out too.
I think the 150 TTSX will be perfect in your 308. Shot great in a 26in. 308 Encore barrel I have.
I'd have to look up what powder I used. Could of been 4064, varget or 748. I think Varget.

Last edited:
I dont think what you saw in dirt/rock expansion is representative of actual bullet expansion in flesh n blood. I've dug out a whole bunch of lead and copper bullets out of the bank behind my target and none of them look pretty, or like they expanded symmetrically. Mangled is the word I'd use. Haha Muzzle velocities from 2400-3600. For what its worth it's a base-rock source.
Screenshot_20200617-093134_Gallery.jpg

This is from a Barnes rep. Further emails explained, the 168s are designed to expand at 308 & 30-06 speeds and be reliable where the 165s were better suited to the magnums.

As another option I've had solid luck with a 150 GMX at 2800 in a 308 out to 250 yards on small blacktail and at 20 yards on medium blacktail. Picture perfect wound channels and quick kills. Thru thru penetration.

I've also liked the performance of the Terminal Shock, DRT bullets from Dynamic Research Technology in 6.5 at 2880. They're made different, designed to frag somewhat and perform more similar to a berger or ELD than a solid type tsx/GMC etc.

I am in California and have to shoot lead free bullets for hunting. I shoot a 308 with a 20" barrel. Was doing some load development this morning and using up some IMR 4320 44.0 grains I got a decent hunting load at about 7/8" group at 100 yds with the Barnes 168 tsxbt match bullet. Velo was 2520 avg and I was feeling good to go so I shot a few 200 and 300 yds to confirm my drops. I was planning on shooting out to the 400 yd mark on deer hogs and bear and stopping due to my concern with lack of expansion under 1900 fps. I checked my group at 200 yds and found this bullet of mine in the dirt embankment. Do Barnes only open under hydraulic pressure? Impact velocity is 2170 fps. They should open at this velocity right? Any feedback is appreciated 🙏

If I were you I'd give the 130 TTSX and TAC a go, it should perk well, give plenty of speed to help it open up and will work well on critters.

Side note and not to derail this but I know of 3x when the TSX and or TTSX failed to open (308 and a 150 TTSX, 7/08 and a 140 and the 223 and a 53 TSX). Bottom line, I want plenty of starting speed when I'm running Barnes.

Heck, even the 110 TTSX would work like a charm for you. It shoots very well in my 308 and has a boat load of speed.

Best of luck

I have recovered 4 bullets from my 300WBY. All were 180 gr and a combo of TSX and TTSX.
I recovered 2 TSX from a Moose at 350 yards, Shot him thru the shoulder and the bullet stopped under the hide on the other side. He turned to go the other way and I shot him again with the same results.
Recovered a TTSX from an Elk at about 450 yards. Went thru the shoulder and stopped under the hide on the far side.
Shot another Elk at about 200 yards with a TTSX. Hit center of chest, went full length breaking the back hip and stopping under the hide.

My son has made some nice shots on Elk between 100 to 550 yards with his 270WSM using 130 grain TTSX. One shot kills. But never recovered a bullet.

Please keep in mind that the OP is talking about a 308 with a 20" barrel, not exactly a speed demon.........just a thunk

Last edited:
UPDATE....I went out today and shot the 168's again with a little more juice in the case. 3 shots avg was 2577 fps. Shot into two 1-gallon water jugs at 200 yds. Both complete pass through and into the embankment which I added soft sand before shooting. One bullet went through the sand and into the soil hitting a rock. The other was perfect text book mushroom and looks really good!! 👍 Success!! I shot some 130's as well and they were around an inch at 100 but different point of impact. Avg velo on the 130s was 2913 fps.

Attachments

• 20200617_180752.jpg
    20200617_180752.jpg
    1,002 KB · Views: 133
  • 20200617_180803.jpg
    20200617_180803.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • 20200617_180806.jpg
    20200617_180806.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 143
  • 20200617_180838.jpg
    20200617_180838.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 136
I would try the Reloader 16 powder (that will give you the best velocity) Use Winchester primers if available. I am currently working on my own load for 6.5 creed with 130g TSX I'm between 2940 and 3000 out of a 26" barrel

I'm pretty pumped about this load I have now, but I will try some other powders to see if I can break the 2600 ceiling. It shoots 168 eld-m at 2644 avg and in .404" groups at 100 yds. That is a lead bullet though so for Cali, it's a no-go. This is not a long range rifle and I won't shoot game animals beyond 400 yds. I don't mind this limit as I can usually get within that range. At this point in my life, if the animal walks away into the distance at 400+ I'm ok with just seeing him do that.

My experience with the ttsx bullet was not what I had hoped for. I loaded some in .308 and they shot well but I shot 3-4 whitetail doe with them and did not have acceptable performance. I did find all of them and they were all shot through the lungs. Blood trails were almost nonexistent and exit holes were very small leading me to believe I wasn't gettting much expansion. I realize they work very well for a lot of people but I switched to a different bullet rather quickly.

They do not act like lead that's for sure but I've had good luck with the 25-06 and 270 wsm. These are high velocity cartridges though so using them in a methodical round like the 308 means choosing lighter grain bullets or shortening maximum shooting distances. I'm testing now and am growing confidence with my results, but the ultimate test will be when I actually shoot a buck or bear.

I'm pretty pumped about this load I have now, but I will try some other powders to see if I can break the 2600 ceiling. It shoots 168 eld-m at 2644 avg and in .404" groups at 100 yds. That is a lead bullet though so for Cali, it's a no-go. This is not a long range rifle and I won't shoot game animals beyond 400 yds. I don't mind this limit as I can usually get within that range. At this point in my life, if the animal walks away into the distance at 400+ I'm ok with just seeing him do that.

I just bought a couple of 8# cfe 223 from powder valley for $161 each. Like I said earlier I used to use TAC, But copper foul reducer powders actually work. The Barnes reloading for 130 doesn't use CFE, but I just use 2 more grains than TAC load lists and of course work up to max loads.

Like my avitar target picture of walking in a scope at 200 yards bench rest shooting. I just grabbed a dusty rifle and it must have been sighted in at 100 is why it was low. just kept twisting the 1/8th dials and threw in some right clicks just to see if it walked over. nice to have a high enough powered scope to see where your shot are printing at 200 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.